Please sign in to post.

Itinerary Advice

Thanks to the great guidance of this forum, I've pulled together an itinerary for our 10-day trip to Italy (Tuscany/Almafi Coast) over New Years. I'd love to get your feedback! Specifically:

(1) If you can only visit one, which would you choose: Bologna or Vernazza?
(2) Rick raves about Civita. But should we stay over night there or make it a daytrip and stay somewhere else?
(3) Where should we spend New Years Eve??

Thank you forum!!

December 27th: Arrive Rome/Pick Up Rental Car/Drive to Bologna or Vernazza/Night in Bologna or Vernazza

December 28th: Day in Bologna or Vernazza/Night in Bologna or Vernazza

December 29th: Drive to Sienna via Pisa/Day in Pisa/Night in Siena

December 30th: Day in Siena/Night in Siena

December 31st: Drive to Civita de Bagnoregio/Day in Civita/Night in Civita(?)

January 1st: Drive to Sorrento via Naples/Afternoon in Naples/ Night in Sorrento

January 2nd: Day in Pompeii + Herculaneum/Night in Sorrento

January 3rd: Morning in Capri/Afternoon Drive to Salerno/Night in Sorrento

January 4th: Day in Sorrento/Drive Back to Rome/Night in Rome

January 5th: Fly Home

Posted by
606 posts

As far as Civita accommodations, I think there's only one small B&B there. That pretty much assures there won't be many tourists in town in the evening/night. That means you and the locals have the place pretty much to yourself. That can be good if you like the idea of peace and quiet (I do) but it also means there's probably not going to be a lot to do there after sundown.

If you're not interested in such a quite evening, you might cut Civita a little short (it's very small...doesn't take long to see) and head the few miles over to Orvieto for the night. It's a very interesting town, small but much larger than Civita. Orvieto could give you more dining choices, and you could stroll around town after dinner.

Posted by
1589 posts

Vernazza would get my vote. I have nothing to offer regarding NYE. Have you considered taking the train? You have a LOT of driving in your plan, during which you won't get to see much except the cars in front and those in back anxious to pass you.

You have chosen a GREAT time to see Italy. Very few tourists will be around, compared to the May - Sept crush. Have a great trip!

Posted by
134 posts

Orvieto would be the much better choice to spend the night and do a side trip to Civita.

Posted by
13 posts

Thanks so much for the advice, all!

Is it worth making the trek up to Bologna or Vernazza? Or would you invest more time in Tuscany?

Posted by
7737 posts

Considering the time of year that you'll be there (early winter) I wouldn't bother with Vernazza. It has warm weather charms, but nothing much in the cold season. I wouldn't do Bologna either, if this is your first visit. I would spend your first night in Rome, which is getting short-shrift in your plans. Rome is amazing and there will be TONS to do and see even at that time of year. Plus, you'll be exhausted from the flight and probably shouldn't be driving given that the weather may well be iffy.

(Bologna is more for your second or third visit to Italy.)

Posted by
13 posts

Thanks. We've been to Rome twice, so were just using it as a home base to fly into.

Given that, would you recommend Bologna?

Posted by
529 posts

I agree with the night in Orvieto instead. It's so easy to get to, striking and a nice size. We stay at the the Magnolia(see RS)60 euros in summer.Pisa was certainly not one of my favorite cities. The tower is interesting but I don't think you need more than a few hours and only if you're passing that way anyway.Be careful for the heavy fines if you drive in the historic center. We prefer trains and let the Italians do the driving and PARKING. You have to be so careful with the car and damages and thefts.The museum in Pompeii is great(definitely allow some time & don't miss the basement) but I'm not sure about the parking risks. We hydrofoiled from Sorrento and walked from the port through the ancient quarters. Morning only in Capri sounds pretty fast as you have to allow for a winter ferry schedule but as it's winter it won't be so congested. I much prefer Positano though. Have a great trip.

Posted by
109 posts

I would limit the trip to Tuscany and the Amalfi Coast.
I would save Vernazza or Bologna for another trip. Base yourself in 2 towns in Tuscany and take day trips from each. Siena and Orvieto might be good. Or have you thought about staying at an agriturismo?That might be my first choice.There are so many that range from simple to fabulous depending on your taste and budget.
4 days at an agriturismo in Tuscany, 4 days in Sorrento and 1 day in Rome is how I would go, but this is your trip and only you know what would make you happy.
Have you already visited Florence?
Can you give us some idea of your interests and what you want from this trip?
Linda

Posted by
13 posts

Thanks for those great suggestions. I believe I'll take your advice and focus only on Tuscany and the Amalfi Coast.

Now, I just need to choose two cities to be our base in each region. Any suggestions there?

For Tuscany -- We have been to Florence, but have never seen Siena, so definitely hope to at least make a daytrip there. I've also read good things about Orvieto and Civita. Where would you recommend we make our base camp for those nights?

For Amalfi -- We want to savor the scenery of the coast, spend a day at Pompeii, and perhaps take the ferry out to Capri. Any suggestions on a city to stay in there?

Thank you for your help!

Posted by
109 posts

Siena and Orvieto would be good choices for bases. Civita di Bagnoregio is wonderful but very tiny and probably you do not need more than 2 hours there. I would stop at Pompei on my way to Sorrento. Will you be driving? What type of accomodations are you looking for and what kind of a budget do you have?
Linda

Posted by
109 posts

Sorry, I just realized you did say you are driving.I have not driven in Naples but driving on the outskirts was bad enough. Would not attempt that again.
I think that Sorrento is a great place to base. Although my husband has driven the Amalfi coast several times I personally would never attempt it. When he drives he cannot take his eyes off the road even for a second. I just describe to him the breathtaking beauty he is missing. I have stayed in Sorrento and the tiny town of Cetara farther south. I think Sorrento is great because it is lively and with good transportaion conections if you decide not to brave the driving there.

Posted by
13 posts

Thanks, Linda, for your advice. We'd planned to drive because we weren't confident in our ability to rely on public transportation to make it around to the smaller hilltowns in Tuscany, but the more I'm reading on this forum, the more it sounds like we should reconsider...

In terms of budget, we're hoping to splurge on food rather than lodging, so hoping to keep our room under $125/night for a double.

I agree on Naples. I believe we'll skip that in favor of either Sorrento, Ravello, or Positano depending on where we can find a good room.

Would you recommend staying in Siena and driving to Orvieto? Or would you do 2 nights in Siena and 2 nights in Orvieto? Any advice on San Gimignano or Volterra? We've heard a mixed bag on the Hill Towns... seems like everyone has their own "must see."

Thanks for taking the time to help!

Posted by
109 posts

Having a car in the hilltowns is I think the best way to get around and the driving is not too crazy. Again, I would probably opt for a wonderful agriturismo in tuscany for the 4 nights and do day trips to Siena and a few of the many lovely little towns.San Gimignano is lovely but there are so many you can hardly go wrong. Each one is a gem.Do a little research on agriturismi near Siena and see if that is something that might appeal to you. If you decide that it is, ask for specific recommendations on this and other sites and i bet you will get quite a few.
We too tend to spend a modest amt of money on lodging and save more for meals etc.If you decide to do 2 days in Siena and 2 in Orvieto, that should work out great also.
We did splurge once in Todi and stayed at Relais Todini.Absolutely gorgeous and convenient to many towns.It was also summer and enjoyed the pool. Stayed at Hotel il Peschille in San Gimingnano a few years ago. Again also in summer and travelling with kids so a pool is necessary for us
3 years ago, I took a trip with 2 lady friends and stayed in Sorrento at Hotel il Nido. Simple, clean and comfortable with wonderful food. and very budget friendly.Also stayed in Cetara once, closer to Salerno at Hotel Cetus.Loved it but Sorrento is better for connections and more lively.

Posted by
411 posts

My husband is in love with Siena--- in fact we're returning there in May. We stayed at the Palazzo Bruchi which was not terribly expensive and was very charming. I believe it was 85 euros a night.

Orvieto was stunning. The duomo with the Signorelli frescos is a "must see". We stayed at B and B Valentina which was lovely and paid 57 euros a night by mentioning Rick's book.

Posted by
689 posts

Laura,

I'd stay in SIenna and Orvieto - with a day trip to Chivita...

On the Amalfi Coast, stay in Sorrento and Positano. Driving down the Autostrada you drive past Naples - not through it. Watch closely for the signage to get through Castlemare to Sorrento. It gets a little confused once you are off the Autostrada... A GPS would be helpful!

Keep in mind that at this time of year, ferrys don't run everywhere.