Please sign in to post.

Itinerary

I would love some input on small portion of our travel itinerary for our fall trip. We'll be coming from our stay at an agriturismo outside Volterra to an Agriturismo outside of Siena. We thought we might stay there for 3 nights. The first day, we'd spend it in Siena, the next day we'd visit he hill towns such as Montalcino and Montepulciano returning to the same agriturismo for the 3rd night. or.. we could stay right in the old town of Siena at a B & B for 2 or 3 nights (price is very close to the same although parking could be a bit of a problem) Or... rather than returning to the agriturismo outside of Siena for the 3rd night, head down to Orvieto the day we tour the hill country and stay in an agriturismo outside Orvieto (it's about the same distance as the place near Siena) The next day, we'd visit Orvieto and perhaps Civita di Bagnoregio, then return to the agriturismo for the night and then head down to Sorrento to continue our trip. (we may visit Civita on our way to Sorrento rather than trying to see Orvieto and Civita on the same day. Thoughts? Hope I explained this well enough to sense.
Suggestions, ideas, input?

Posted by
11322 posts

Hi Sue. Since you will have the agriturismo experience near Volterra, I think you might like staying in Siena where you can soak up the hill town ambience. There are places with parking. We liked Antica Residenza Cicogna, and they had a parking spot a short walk away they allowed us to rent for 10 euro per night. I don't think you need to devote a whole day to Siena itself, unless you want to see a lot of museums. I like your idea of Orvieto for 2 nights instead of what I presume would be one night. Your days might look like this: 1 - arrive Siena from Volterra. Spend afternoon seeing Il Duomo, Il Campo, wandering. Sleep Siena. 2- drive to Montacino, Pienza, Montepulciano (along one lovely route). This is about 3 hours of driving, plus 3-6 hours of stops/touring/meals. Sleep Siena. 3 - AM - see anything else in Siena that attracted your attention. Afternoon drive to Orvieto, only 1.5 hours. See Duomo in Orvieto (magnificent!). Sleep Orvieto 4 - AM to Civita; Afternoon for Orvieto -- St. Patrick's Well, Etruscan Tombsite, or other sights of interest. Sleep Orvieto.
5 - Head to Sorrento, which is a 4 hour drive. A B&B to consider in Orvieto is B&B Ripamedici. On the edge of town, free parking, peaceful.

Posted by
515 posts

The people who contribute to this board (not me) have motherloads of information about Tuscany. The responses that you get will be more targeted to your trip if you include facts such as first trip to Italy or Tuscany? If not what did you previously enjoy or not? Will you have a car all the time or will you at some point be open to maybe switching to trains/buses? What are the things that you most want to experience or see or do or eat? What kinds of things if any do you want to avoid? Buses? Walking up hills and steps? Lots of art museums? Crowds? Packing/unpacking/packing? Whatever