Please sign in to post.

itinerary

My husband and I are planning on visiting Italy next Sept. We are interested in culture, good food, outdoors and of course, wine! We have about 12 days or so. The cities we would like to see are: Varrena, Verona and Venice. Would welcome suggestions to how many days/nights in each place and does it matter if we fly into Milan first and out of Venice or the opposite? Thanks

Posted by
7737 posts

I would probably do them in this order - Varenna, Verona and Venice (love the alliteration, but good for you for not trying to cram Vernazza into your itinerary as well). Either Varenna or Venice are great cities to recover from jetlag, but you wouldn't want to have Varenna at the end of your itinerary. It would be a bit of a hassle to make it to Malpensa for your departure flight, whereas getting from Venice to Marco Polo is a piece of cake. I would do 3 nights in Varenna, 4 nights in Verona (with a daytrip to Padua in there), and the rest in Venice. PM me if you want a recommendation of a great B&B in Verona. Happy travels. (You've picked three of my favorite places in Italy.)

Posted by
2788 posts

Do you have any of RS guide books for Italy or those cities yet. If so, good. If not I would suggest getting at least his Italy books as it had lots of good information that we found useful when we visited Italy.

Posted by
35 posts

Itinerary is so hard because everyone does things differently. We just got back from our first ever trip to Italy and it was amazing!!! We had 17 days and stayed in Venice, Florence, Vernazza, Rome, and Positano. My wife and I both agreed our favorites were Vernazza and Positano, and we also liked Florence. Rome and Venice were both also great, but just not as good as the others!