5 days in Rome
Train to Venice for 3 days
2 days in Bologna-drive
3 days in Tuscany-Chianti area-drive
4 days in Positano-(pompeii,blue grotto)return car(
Final day---Train to rome

Posted by
306 posts

My suggestion is give up the car for the Amalfi Coast. Stay in Sorrento and take the SITA bus to Positano and beyond. Driving is a nightmare especially if you are going peak season. Sorrento is the perfect home base, you can take the boat to Capri, train to Pompeii, and the bus for everywhere else. Ditch the car in Florence and hop on a train to Sorrento via Naples.

Posted by
23 posts

Thanks for your help. Thanks about getting rid of the car in Positano. Any reason why I shouldn't use Positano as a home base to visit Pompeii, Capri and use public transportation(bus, train & ferry)?

Posted by
306 posts

Positano is not convient for Pompeii. I think you can catch a boat from Positano to Capri (not sure, I've never stayed there) but to get to Pompeii you would need to go back to Sorrento (45 minute bus ride) and then catch a train to Pompeii. Sorrento also has a wider selection of places to stay and eat.

Posted by
15069 posts

Too much backtracking....waste of time

Go in one direction as much as possible.

Venice-Bologna-Tuscany-Rome-Sorrento (easier to visit Pompei)-Positano-Rome

Pick up rental car as you leave Venice. Drop it off in Rome. (You don't need it in Rome and why pay for it and parking if you don't need it). Pick up new car and drive to Sorrento. Then drop off the car in Sorrento and bus to Positano. (Or if you're exploring, keep the car.) Drop it off before training back to Rome.