Please sign in to post.

Italy with children

We are heading to Italy for 3 weeks this summer with our children (ages 9 & 11). Rick's France book had great suggestions for children, both sights and recommended reading. Can't find that in the Italy book. Any suggestions? Our itinerary is Rome, Calabria (to visit relatives), Sorrento (Pompeii), Tuscany (in an agro-turismo), Florence, Verona, Venice. We are travelling by both car and train. I have booked most of the accommodation, but not Venice or Verona yet, so any suggestions for child friendly accommodation? Will air-con be needed in early Sept?
Thanks.

Posted by
212 posts

Air con is usually still a must in early September. Have a look at the Palazzo Olivia apartments in Rome, they are totally self catering, really well kept and furnished, and there is an english speaking manager there all day for anything you need. Travelling with kids, I usually like to be able to keep cold juices, snacks, be able to warm a bottle any time, etc which makes an apartment a good way to go. These are right by Piazza Navona so also in the very center of Rome.

Will you be staying in Sorrento? How many days you plan to be there? I know a fantastic agriturismo in Furore (near positano) but you would need a car to get there.

Posted by
12172 posts

Our kids enjoyed anything to do with animals, water, hiking and ruins (both Medieval and Roman). Our daughter loved every museum and church while her older brothers didn't complain too much. The only museum the boys really liked was the armories and crime and punishment museums. The only thing they really enjoyed about churches was climbing the towers.

None of them enjoyed scenic drives and voted against taking the scenic route in favor of getting somewhere as quickly as possible so they were out of the car.

I have been to Italy in late September, early and late October and early November. I never felt I needed air conditioning but I've only been South as far as Rome and then only in late October/early November.

Posted by
319 posts

If your kids are sick of cities, art and culture stuff, I would stay near lake Garda rather than in Verona. There is a great zoo/nature park, a water park and some other family fun activities. Of course you could stay in Verona and go out to Garda for the day, but I think that the south east side of lake Garda would be a nice break.

Posted by
261 posts

My kids loved listening to the Rick Steves audio guides to museums and other sites. Much better than listening to Mom read the guidebook. My son (age 13) enjoyed the Uffizi mostly because of Rick's slightly bad puns! Get a guide at Pompeii, there is a lot there, and they can take you through the best parts.

Posted by
1829 posts

A couple of years ago we stayed in Verona with relatives from New Zealand including children of the same age The children loved exploring the city because it was so different to anything they were used to. It is also the first place in Italy where I saw people going about their business on bicycles!

We lodged at the Verona House Hotel which is an aparthotel. The family (of four) stayed in the Executive Apartment. Don't expect full hotel facilities eg room service and there is no restaurant on site but you are within walking distance of plenty or you can self-cater.

http://www.veronahouse.com/eng/

PS - don't let the ornate decorative style put you off, it's not that stuffy and the ac worked fine!

Posted by
2297 posts

We went to Italy last year with our kids, then 10 and 12 years old. They liked our week in Tuscany best because of the pool that came with the agriturismo!

Pompeii was also a hit and I second the recommendation to get one of the official guides for a private tour. Very affordable and worth every cent!

In Rome the colosseum was the #1 attraction. In part because again we had a guide there. The audio guide available at the Forum Romanum was very poor and turned this to the least liked experience for our girls.

The Sorrento peninsula has a number of nice beaches. We went to several ones and the kids definitely liked those!