Please sign in to post.

Italy Where To Go? Short Trip After A Cruise

My husband and I will have 3 travel days and want to shop and see the Ferrari museum. We arrive in Rome and are trying to figure out which is the best city and most convenient airport to fly back to Fort Lauderdale from. (We have already spent time in Rome on a prior trip) We are renting a car at the Civitavecchia in Rome and heading out. We are deciding between Florence and Milan. We want easy to move around, easy place to "wing it" ie book last minute hotels, and less crazy airport. I noticed that both cities have good flights back to Fort Lauderdale. Any thoughts?

Posted by
6244 posts

There is really no heed for a car
You won’t want or need it in any of those cities
I’d just take the train

Bologna makes the most sense
Visit Ravenna and Ferrari museum from there

Check flights home from Bologna-there will not be any direct to US

If you fly out from anywhere else (Milan) you will need to be in that city night before departure

Do you have 4 nights which gives you 3 full days
Or do you have 3 nights Schuch is only 2.5 days?

Posted by
4 posts

We get back from the cruise on the 27th am, and departing on the 30th am, so we have truly 3 nights and 3 days. Great feedback. Thank you! Does Bologna have access to the high end shopping? Or where is the nearest city to Bologna that does? Thank you!

Posted by
6244 posts

You still really only have 2.5 days
Your first day will be spent getting off the boat, taking transportation to your chosen destination, checking in, getting oriented. So you’ve got maybe from 3 pm til dinner for sightseeing/ shopping.
You have to be realistic about what sort of time you have.

All large Italian cities have high end shopping. I am not a shopper so no idea which city is best
I suppose Milan
Bologna is known for its food.

Posted by
4 posts

Yes! You are so right. It becomes 2.5 days. The “shopping” was for one excursion, so we can do that any day. I like the idea of Bologna and the “food”!

Posted by
56 posts

Bologna has a lot of shopping! I stayed a couple of blocks from Piazza Maggiore, so the old city center - shopping in every direction. On weekends the area is closed to traffic and the streets are full.

Posted by
65 posts

Not sure what type of high end shopping you are interested in but here is a link to a mall in Bologna with high end brands and in city center. I am sure there are other options, too. There is a link on this website showing brands.
https://www.galleriacavourbologna.com/en/

Posted by
681 posts

I'd just like to reiterate what ChristineH said, There is really no heed for a car! Save yourself the hassle, take the train. No need to park, risk fines inside towns, speed traps, etc etc. If you do drive, I would use the search bar above to explore driving in Italy with all it's hassles! Maybe search 'driving in Italy Forum' or 'Italy driving forum'.

PS, here are some food tour recommendations for Bologna - https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/italy/bologna-restaurants-and-food-tours. (