Please sign in to post.

Italy trip / September / October 2024 (first draft of itinerary)

My husband and I are Seniors 65+ and will be flying into Milan and Flying out of Rome. Planning to use trains / buses / renting a car on the last part of our trip.

Itinerary for our trip to Italy:

Travel day - Flying into Milan
Staying in Milan for 2 nites

Taking the train from Milan to Varenna and to see Lake Como - staying here 2 nites

Taking the train from Varenna back to Milan and staying there 1 more nite in (Milan)

Leaving by train from Milan to Venice to stay there 3 nites

Staying In Venice 3 nites - so far scheduled walking tour, Murano Duran/Torcello Sightseeing Tour & Gondola Ride

Take the train from Venice to Florence

Staying in Florence for 6 nites
While in Florence visiting museums, attraction sites and day trips to Pisa & Lucca / day trip trip to Cinque Terre, walking tours, still looking into more sites to see.

After our stay in Florence then we plan to take a Taxi to the Florence Airport and pick up a rental Car.

Drive the rental car to Siena and stay there for 2 nites. while there visiting for the day San Gimignano and other sites need to still look into / still planning agenda for the day.

After staying in Siena for 2 nites then will drive to Orvieto. (hotel says free parking - they will park car outside walls for us)

Staying in Orvieto for 2 nites and still planning agenda for the day. (hotel says free parking)

After the 2 nite stay in Orvieto then we will drive to Rome and return car back to Rome Airport. (We plan to return car when arriving to Rome and then staying in Rome for 2 nites before flying back home)

Looking for all comments. - thank you !

Posted by
131 posts

Hi smjjer, here are my thoughts.

1. day trip from Florence to Cinque Terre doesn't seem to make sense to me. It's a minimum of about 6 hours of train travel (3 hours each way) - I just don't think you'd see much.

2. Trains in Italy are great, but taking one every single day for day trips sounds like a lot of time on the train; you'll be tired from walking to/from the station, waiting, etc. You might do better planning more overnight visits and fewer train day trips.

3. San Gimignano was quite touristy when I was there about 23-24 years ago. I'm sure it's even more touristy now. That means quite a lot of crowds. You might reconsider that.

4. Have you considered where you are staying in Rome? You are planning to return the car to the airport, but then Rome is an hour away by train. But if you stay by the airport, then you have long train ride to get into Rome for sightseeing.

5. You don't mention lodging: are you considering apartments or just staying in hotels. Apartments are easy to find on booking.com and you can often find one with a washing machine. Also, having multiple rooms is less claustrophobic (to me) than a hotel room. If one person wants to watch TV, the other can be in the other room, more space to stretch out, etc. Also, you don't have to eat every meal out. When you are in the planning stages of a trip, thinking about eating every meal out sounds fun, but the reality is that's a lot of potentially big meals, and being able to have breakfast at your apartment rental is actually nice. Being able to bring leftovers home for a later meal is also nice.

6. If you do plan on taking a lot of trains, make sure you get a hotel or apartment close to the train station! Having to take a taxi - or a long walk - to the station both directions will make your days a lot longer.

I hope these thoughts help. And I don't want to discourage you from your trip, it's all very exciting, isn't it?

Tony

Posted by
131 posts

Two more things.

1. If you haven't checked out the "man in seat 61" website (about trains in europe) I highly recommend it. In particular, the page about the Florence train station, which includes hotels near the station, might be invaluable for you.

https://www.seat61.com/stations/florence-santa-maria-novella.htm

1. In my first comment, when I said you wouldn't see much in Cinque Terre, what I meant was this: There's a lot to see there (especially if you hike between towns) but with 6 hours of transport, you won't have much time or energy for sightseeing, so you won't actually get to see much.

Tony

Posted by
894 posts

Just wondering why overnighting in Milan on the trip from Varenna to Venice? Seems easier to do it in one trip and have extra time in Venice, unless you are looking at extra time in Varenna.

Posted by
1625 posts

I was in Rome many, many years ago, and I am currently planning our trip for central/northern Italy for May 2025. So I am certainly not an expert. But I am wondering why you are going all the way to Rome for only 2 nights? Seems like a long way to go for just 2 nights. We spent a whole week in Rome, and didn't see everything. Have you been to Rome previously? If not, can you add a couple extra nights to your trip to make it worthwhile going to Rome?

Based on my research, and based on knowing how crowded CT is, I would not go there for a daytrip. You will be there when all the daytrippers are there. CT will be much more enjoyable if you can spend a couple nights there. Would you be willing to take the 2 nights from Rome and add it to CT? Then fly into Milan and home from Florence?

And you also have five 2-night stays which I think are very tiring. We are senior citizens, too, (in our 70's) so I am very cognizant of that. I try not to plan too many 1 and 2- night stays.

Posted by
6194 posts

Less time in Milan
More time in Rome-unless you’ve been before?
Skip Cinque Terre

Might take a night from Florence-Usually 3 nights is good with 1 night added for each day trip

We like Orvieto a lot so I’d try to keep that but try to add more time in Tuscany while you have the car-see Val D’Orcia region
2 nights in Pienza would fit
It’s a lovely quiet flat hill town

Posted by
11222 posts

Staying in Milan for 2 nites
Taking the train from Milan to Varenna and to see Lake Como - staying here 2 nites
Taking the train from Varenna back to Milan and staying there 1 more nite in (Milan)

Like Lesley, I have to ask 'why' the split stay in Milan?

I believe Hertz is the only rental car in Orvieto, but even if it is a bit more than some other choice, it might be worth it to use them so you can drop car in Orvieto and take train to Rome, and not have to make the trip to the Rome airport and then incur the cost ( and inconvenience) to get to Rome itself.

Why so little time in Rome?

Remove your email address, unless you love spam.

Posted by
8 posts

Thank you for all the helpful comments ! The reason for the Milan split was that I was told at first there is not a train that takes you from Varenna to Venice. Now that I am hearing there is a train I will definitely cancel out the 2nd Milan stay and add another nite in Rome. Also, googled about the trains.

It is also helpful to know that we can go with a rental from Hertz and drop the car off in Orvieto.

Thank you again ! sandy

Posted by
6194 posts

From Varenna you do have to take train to Milan where you will change to a train to Venice
No big deal

Please remove your email address from your screen name
This is a public forum

Hertz is the only car agency in Orvieto
You will need to rent thru Hertz as the well liked broker a lot of us use AutoEurope does not work with that Orvieto agency

There is no need to go to Florence airport to pick up car
Airport pick ups usually mean additional fees and you are on the wrong side of Florence

There are very good directions here on forum for how to exit Florence after far pick up near train station
https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/italy/picking-up-a-car-in-florence-to-drive-thru-tuscany