Please sign in to post.

Italy trip in Feb 2017

We have planned a trip to Italy February 16-26, 2017. I have done alot of reading and planning. I wanted to post here to see if anyone has advice/tips on something I might be missing or need to change. We fly into Venice (during festival carnevale). we are staying with my daughter and granddaughters (they live in Vicenza) that night. Sat and Sun we want to plan a ski trip somewhere but not sure of best place yet. (opinions welcome) Then on Monday we are taking train to Rome. Plan on seeing Colosseum, RF, and Palatino on Monday. Tues plan a day trip - not a guided tour - to Naples/Pompeii (not sure what to see/do there). Wednesday plan on visiting Vatican and more of Rome. Thursday head to Florence. Friday we have day tour booked to Pisa, Siena, and San Gimignano. Saturday head back to Vicenza and Sunday back to Venice to catch plane home. All this with 3 adults, one 5 year old and one 17 month old. Also, is it worth it to buy the Roma Pass? Ideas on how to see what the adults want to see and keep the kids entertained also?

Posted by
11 posts

You guys are going to be busy! We too are going to Rome and other areas of Italy in February. We will have three children with us and I bought this book:
Not For Parents Rome: Everything You Ever Wanted to Know (Lonely Planet Not for Parents).

It might be fun to read some with your five year old and give you some ideas as well for things to do with the kids. If all else fails, gelato for the win!

Posted by
4152 posts

You basically have 9 full days to try to squeeze in a ski trip, Rome, Pompeii, Florence, Pisa, Siena, San Gimignano and back to Venice. 8 cities in 9 days with 2 small children is way too much.

Since you are flying into/out of Venice is would stay near there and cut out Rome and Pompeii. This will give you time to visit your daughter, ski, visit Florence and the small towns near there without being to rushed.

If you keep to the itinerary you have you'll spend the majority of your time checking into/out of hotels, getting to/from train stations and riding trains. It won't be a fun trip for anyone.

Donna

Posted by
656 posts

I agree with Donna. Way too much to be considered enjoyable but of course that is an opinion. I don't think you should do Naples/Pompei both in one day. Everything is too rushed. Spend the day in Naples- lots to see. I can't imagine doing this with children. I guess it comes down to what you want and what you consider enjoyable. I'd eliminate a few things.

Posted by
15820 posts

I'll absolutely agree with Donna: this is a crazy busy itinerary with too many moves and long day trips, especially with very young children. I would skip the ski trip, Naples/Pompeii, and that day trip to Pisa/Siena. S.G. Your current plan leaves you almost no time to see Venice and Florence, and very little of Rome. Then again, maybe you aren't all that interested in them?

Posted by
15585 posts

According to the website there's nothing scheduled for Carnevale until the 18th. If you want to see any of the celebrations you should spend the weekend in Venice. From the 18th there are costume contests and/or other events scheduled every day. The second weekend of your trip with the final weekend of Carnevale with huge crowds and special events. That would probably be a better weekend to avoid the crowds since you have two small children in tow.

Posted by
1589 posts

" Friday we have day tour booked to Pisa, Siena, and San Gimignano '

this day is especially worrisome.

Posted by
1829 posts

Sounds like you have at least one bus type tour already booked.
Have you read reviews of these tours from customers with small children?

While those tours are not my cup of tea, I have read glowing reviews of them from most though all mention it was a very tiring day. For the adults that may be fine but for the young children I am not sure.

The other planned day trip Naples/Pompeii ; absolutely don't do Naples, limit this day just to Pompeii. Just doing Pompeii from Rome is a long tiring day, adding Naples makes it over the top for your group of 5.

I would skip the ski trip. You are in Venice, why miss out on seeing Venice ; unless you have been there before you don't have enough time to leave and will be pricey to get to the mountains, rent equipment, etc..
It also means you have to pack extra stuff in your suitcase all because of 1 day.

You have left very little time for Rome, very little time for the city of Florence as well.

You mention much advance reading and planning done but most of your plans is atypical from the advise this forum often gives per location as to the number of nights for each.

If the recommendation for Florence as an example is 3 nights / 2 full days that is without any day trips. Adding a day trip means adding a night in that location.

Posted by
11613 posts

ryndart, I appreciate what you want to do. But it is really a lot of travel time from place to place. Have a look at Rome2rio.com to check distances and travel times for your route, and then check train schedules.

You have a group tour planned, which will be fine for that day.

You have to change transportation in Napoli anyway, so take a couple of hours to see the Archeological museum (metro from the train station to Museo stop) and go back to the station to continue to Pompei, or see Pompei first and see the Museum on your way back.

How important is the ski trip? It requires special packing, and time to get there and back, but if you want it, go for it.

Since all you want to see in Roma is basically one site (2 tickets, I think), the Roma Pass is probably not a good buy.

Your group will move at the speed of the slowest traveler. But if you just want a sample of things in Italy, you can work this out. Scheduling transportation times will probably be your biggest challenge.

Posted by
23278 posts

I have the feeling that our comments were not well taken by ryndart01. Also with this short time, an open jaw should be considered. Into Venice and home from Rome. Saving backtracking to Venice and, second, Venice, is a poor airport to depart from. I think the whole plans needs a lot of serious rethinking. Opps - just realized that we are talking about next month and not a year from now. So, the advice on open jaws is for other readers who might consider a similar trip.

Posted by
3 posts

I do appreciate the feedback. My daughter lives in vicenza. The ski trip is one hr away from her house. She has ski clothes and equipt so no xtra packing there. The naples/pompeii trip is not definite, we booked 3 nights in rome just in case we need an xtra day to recoup. The reason for the return to venice is because when we leave Italy my girls are moving back to texas with us. I realize that it's a lot to pack into 9 days. If at any time my girls are not up to something we have a plan b.
Thank ya'll. I guess I needed to hear how insane we are for our itinerary. I will probably post after the trip to say ya'll were right. :)

Posted by
11613 posts

Or maybe we're ring, but please do post a trip report!