Please sign in to post.

Italy Trip

Hey Guys,

I've outlined the following plan for my trip to Italy. Any thoughts or comments? I'm planning on booking the Euro-rail, but it wouldn't leave much room for side trips if we wanted to take any spur-of-the-moment.

Rome (4 nights) → Florence (2 night) → Venice (2 night)

Arrive in Rome @ 12:00 Aug 1st
Leave Rome @ 7:00 August 5th (2hrs $20)
Arrive in Florence @ 9:00 Aug 5th
Leave Florence @ Aug 7th (2 hours $30 < 13:30 < $25)
Arrive in Venice @ AM-early afternoon Aug 7th
Leave Venice Aug 9th after breakfast

Thanks,
Sydney

Posted by
8102 posts

It takes two nights to get one full day; one day in Florence and one day in Venice is not enough to do more than take a snapshot of yourself in a couple of iconic spots. I'd just rent the videos of one or two of these spots and spend enough time in the other(s) to actually see a bit of what they have to offer.

Posted by
1761 posts

I'm not sure what you're asking for exactly. I think it's a shame you don't have a bit more time, but given your time constraints, I think this is a fine itinerary.

I don't understand what you mean about booking the Euro-rail and having room for side trips. What side trips are you thinking of taking? You don't really have time for much. If I were you I'd just plan to stay in each city you visit. There is more than enough to see to keep you busy, and you will have to skip some good sights as it is.

Posted by
2393 posts

Looks like a great itinerary - no time for side trips - just enjoy the places you have planned. Your early arrival in Florence leaves you a good part of that day there and the whole next day. Your hotel there should keep your bags until check in time. Not every first visit to a place needs to be a week long - if you miss something - we just call that a reason to return!

Posted by
2487 posts

There is no need to use middle-men for buying your train tickets. If you don't mind being tied to a specific train, make your advance booking on the website of the Italian Railways: www.trenitalia.com/tcom-en. Payment by credit card; printing at home. Remember to use the Italian originals for station names (Roma, Firenze, Venezia).