Please sign in to post.

Italy Trip

Hello everyone! my husband and I are flying in and out of Naples and wanted to visit the Almafi Coast. Im unsure which way to start. we have 11 days not including travel and now Im thinking it might be too many days to just focus on this area? Anyway Ive been doing some research but all itineraries include Rome, Venice Florence or other parts of Italy and then the coast. Should we do Naples to Capri first or Naples to Positano first?

Posted by
4375 posts

It is not too much to me--what have you identified of interest to you in the area? Most people try to do too much, hence you can find 1000 random bad itineraries. You can stay in Naples, on an island (or 2 or 3), and on the Amalfi coast (several villages to choose from) for a luxurious 11 days. If you do all of that quickly, or skip some of it, you can include Rome, which is only a train ride away. I would not try to include Florence and certainly not Venice. Some people include parts of Basilicata and/or Puglia in a Naples itinerary. The only thing that is certain is that you should end with Naples, since it's only a 15 minute taxi to the airport from there (of course it depends on your arrival and departure times what order is best).
What month?
Make a list of what you want to see and do, then evaluate.

Posted by
6049 posts

We spent 9 days in the area so I don’t think 11 is too much
We didn’t even get to Naples!
Sorrento 4, Amalfi 2, Ravello 1, Salerno 2

Much preferred Amalfi to Positano- a few hours there was more than enough

Posted by
7 posts

Im ok if we don't do Rome, Venice, Florence and Tuscany since we visited those on our first trip to Italy. Would like to visit Positano, Capri, Sorrento etc etc just not sure which one should be first. We fly into Naples at 2pm. This is for next month August🫣

Posted by
7 posts

Im also open to any suggestions or places we should visit. Thank you all for your help!!!

Posted by
4375 posts

It really does not matter which one you do first. You could go to Naples port and hop on a ferry to Capri, or there are various ways to get to the coast (including direct from airport buses). Do you have a guide book?

Posted by
6049 posts

Since you are also leaving from Naples leave your Naples stay til last and head to your first location so you don’t need a split stay there
It doesn’t really matter which order you go
Sorrento is probably the easiest place to start

Once you decide where you want to stay and how many days in each location
It will be easier for others to advise you further

Sorrento 3 ? visit Pompeii from here
Positano or Amalfi -4? visit Ravello
Capri 2
Naples 2

If you have any interest in Paestum and that is best done from Salerno and you can train right to Naples from Salerno

What time if year matters as ferries don’t run year round

Posted by
7 posts

If I take a ferry from Naples to Capri, will I be missing a beautiful scenic drive?

Posted by
4375 posts

If I take a ferry from Naples to Capri, will I be missing a beautiful
scenic drive?

You can't drive to Capri, lol. If you are referring to the Amalfi Coast, the best part of the drive is far from Naples. Presumably you would follow Capri by taking a ferry to Sorrento or Positano. But, I would actually try to avoid the road in August--the traffic is so bad they are instituting controls. Stick to ferries.

Posted by
755 posts

You can take the ferry to Capri from Sorrento, and then another day take the train from Sorrento to Pompeii, or Herculaneum, or take the bus to Positano, or Amalfi, or places further south, or divide your stay between Sorrento and Amalfi and then go to Naples for your final days. You can also take the ferry from Naples to not only Capri, but Ischia and Procida. There is much to see in the area and you should have no problem filling your days.

Posted by
7 posts

haha I know thats what I meant if Jm taking a ferry from Naples to Capri will I be missing out on a scenic drive from Naples to Sorrento Almafi or Positano since I will then get the Ferry to Capri from Sorrento or Positano. Sorry Im not too familiar with the area. Thank you!!! :)

Posted by
755 posts

Yes, in the summer taking the ferry anywhere is preferable to the bus, but I would take at least one bus ride along the coast for the experience and the views.

Posted by
6049 posts

Best drive is from Sorrento to Amalfi and beyond but ferry ride is really just as scenic and in August it will definitely be more comfortable

We took bus from Amalfi to Positano and I am not one to get motion sickness
If that ride had been 5 minutes longer I couldn’t claim that ever again!

You’ll need to make some decisions pretty quickly as lodgings book up early

Posted by
4375 posts

Christine makes a very good point--the area is even more popular than usual this summer. You should go to Booking.com or whatever place you like for accommodations and start looking now. Good luck!

Posted by
7 posts

I dont know how ro reply to just one comment but I LOL at the motion sickness one. Im so thankful for everyone's reply. It’s truly helped me get an idea and narrow down my choices.

Posted by
755 posts

If you don’t have a history of motion sickness you shouldn’t worry about it. I have been up and down the Amalfi coast too many times to count and never felt ill, nor have my travel companions, and I never saw anyone else looking “green.” But I’m sure it happens to certain individuals.

Posted by
7 posts

Hi, would it make sense to stay In Positano one night? For example,
2 Sorrento
2 Capri
1 Positano
3 Amalfi
2 Naples

Posted by
4375 posts

Hi, would it make sense to stay In Positano one night? For example, 2
Sorrento 2 Capri 1 Positano 3 Amalfi 2 Naples

It's a personal preference. Some don't mind changing hotels because they want a different experience at night; others prefer to unpack fewer times and do day trips. I would choose one or the other.
Compare against this order: Sorrento, AC (Amalfi Coast), Capri, Naples
The transport might work out better, but it does spare you the long overland journey of AC to Naples.

Posted by
755 posts

Where you stay depends on your interests and what you want to see/do. I would take that night in Positano and add it to Naples, because there is a lot to see and do from there, and Positano and Amalfi are similar in a lot of ways.