Please sign in to post.

Italy Trip

My family of 4 is going to Italy on June 27-July7. We are staying in Veroli, Rome (3) nights, Florence, Vencie and Amalfi Coast. We were told to stay in Trestevere as that is THEE place to stay in Rome. I'm really confused because all the places I have seen look small and quaint. I want Luxury and something that will accommodate family of 4 instead of having to rent two rooms. Anyone have any suggestions? Also need highlights in each city. This is our first time going to Italy and I want it to be special and very memorable. We are looking for Luxury and Classy. Also...any secrets to renting a larger car or minivan. Rental website have all smaller cars.

Posted by
1829 posts

Trestevere is really not Luxury. I think those that told you thought were different type of travelers and want a more authentic experience than a luxury stay. For Luxury I prefer the area near the Pantheon but if you want higher end and luxury shopping near, then the area by the Spanish Steps is your answer.
That is where the high end lux chains are, to me seemed too touristy there which is why I prefer the Pantheon or Piazza Navona area as well.
We loved out stay here and they have large rooms to accommodate families such as yours with million dollar views.
http://www.hotelsolealpantheon.com/

Posted by
339 posts

What I use for lodging in Rome, Florence and Venice is cross-pollinate.com. They do have higher end places for rent in these cities as well as more affordable places. Reviews, photos and descriptions are available at their site which features B and Bs and apartments.

Posted by
6 posts

Thank you very much for your reply. I was thinking the same thing. They are more authentic travelers. We prefer Luxury and spacious rooms that are more modern. Thank you for the link. That looks very nice. Do you have any recommendations for hotels near the Spanish Steps or Novena as you mentioned. Also, any recommendations for hotels in other cities or rental cars that are large.

Posted by
1829 posts

As to rental cars, oh boy sounds like you may not be well prepared for Italy and need to do some advance research before you book a car to make sure it is the right thing.
ZTL's would be my main concern for you, along with knowing you need an IDP for each driver.
Try Auto Europe (auto europe . com no spaces) though as far as finding larger family cars, small SUVs and minivans,
I show all 3 of those classes of cars available when I do a basic search in Italy.
All cars are much smaller in Italy than US though so keep that in mind. I am reserving a mid size and that is almost more of a luxury compact in the US (think Audi A3, BWM 1, Alfa Romero Giulietta) All nice cars and premium brands better than a typical US rental just not what I typically think of when I think mid size.

Personally for the areas you mention a car sounds a terrible idea.

Posted by
5697 posts

Use the search function to find poster Terri Lynn who knows more about first-class travel than many of us here who actually like "small and quaint" ... or who make the tradeoff of less luxury for longer trips.

Posted by
1829 posts

Also ask yourself do you really want Modern in a place as old and historic as Rome and the other places on your list?
I see the desire for Luxury but modern sounds like an eyesore to me in such places.
The 2 places I did send links for I would say are luxury but historic / old with character so are likely to lack a little in the most modern conveniences.

Lastly overall your list of places sound quite rushed. Know nothing about Veroli but assume it is planned for you between Rome and Amalfi Coast and why you may need a car.
Given your travel dates, I think you could have a great trip with Rome, Veroli and Amalfi Coast the extent of the plans flying into Rome and out of Naples or back out of Rome and skip Florence and Venice this trip.
If you need a car for Veroli I would rent only after checking out of Rome and return ideally before Amalfi Coast maybe in Sorrento or worse case keep for Amalfi Coast and return on way out at airport.
Car is not convenient to have at all for the Amalfi Coast but not as horrible as having a car in Rome, Florence or Venice either as long as you are good with very curvy, narrow, mountain roads that will be more painful than enjoyable in a large size car and recognize you will likely be paying for your car to sit parked and unused while you tour the Amalfi coast on busses and ferries.
Would recommend Positano for your Amalfi Coast base and while there are Luxury places there I am not sure any or many of them offer parking.
Many hotels in Sorrento offer parking.

Posted by
32928 posts

Are you planning for this June 27 - 12 days from now, or next year's June 27?

Posted by
16894 posts

Rick's Italy guidebook recommends a variety of hotel options, including some 4-star places. For instance, Hotel Rex and Hotel Lancelot both have quad rooms for roughly 275 euros/night.

FYI, the only reason that Cari.Lynn could search for Terri Lynn is because other forum comments have repeated her name. Otherwise, it doesn't really work to search for people by name.

Posted by
15607 posts

Have you considered the time it takes to get from place to place? I am a little concerned that you may not be leaving enough time to enjoy the sights in each place.

The trains between Rome, Florence and Venice are much faster than driving, and you don't have to look for or pay for parking. Getting to/from the Amalfi Coast takes a long time. You are probably better off hiring a private car/driver than trying to do it yourself on the narrow winding roads.

By the way, one advantage to renting 2 rooms is having 2 bathrooms.

Posted by
15863 posts

I'm concerned as well: 5 locations in 11 days is a LOT, and especially so if that includes your arrival/departure days. You won't see anything but the barest of 'highlights' with that little time, and will spend a lot of what you have in the transit process.

And I'll agree that you do not want a car for Rome, Florence and Venice. We wouldn't consider driving the Amalfi either but that's a personal preference. As suggested, do some reading up on parking and ZTL challenges...and managing a large vehicle. Once you see many Italian streets, you'll understand why most vehicles are smaller.

Posted by
7049 posts

Here you go...Hotel Barocco. Definitely luxurious and classy (although not modern decor - plenty of marble though, very classic) - I stayed here many years ago and enjoyed it. Great location on Via Barbarini and convenient to everything. I wouldn't try to park a car near there though. I saw even Smart Cars on curbs/sidewalks in Rome sandwiched in between Vespas and other cars. Definitely not a good place to drive or park a car in - and I'm thinking of small cars. Larger cars and luxurious hotel rooms will cost a fortune in Rome. I went that route and won't repeat it again.

http://www.hotelbarocco.com/
http://www.hotelbarocco.com/en/hotel-barocco-where-we-are-located-rome-hotels/