Please sign in to post.

Italy trip

We will be traveling to Italy in September. Does the train system have a 15 day travel pass similar to the Swiss travel pass? We will be flying into Rome from Boston. WE will be traveling to Florence for 3 days & the Amalfi coast for 4 days after a couple of days in Rome. Appreciate any tips.
Thank you

Posted by
20085 posts

Trenitalia does have a 7 trips in 15 day pass, but I don't know if it will fit your needs.
https://www.trenitalia.com/en/offers/trenitalia-pass.html

Probably just buying tickets will work best for you. The pass still requires you make seat reservations for all hi-speed and IC trains, even though they are free, its not like Switzerland where you can just hop on most trains.

Posted by
15807 posts

I wouldn't think a pass would be worth it for this particular trip. For sure you wouldn't be using it much, if at all, on the Amalfi Coast as there is very little train service there. The only rail service between Naples and Sorrento is served by Circumvesuviana commuter and limited Campania Express, Trenitalia passes don't cover either one, and tickets are really cheap. There is high-speed Trenitalia service between Rome and Naples, and Naples and Salerno but I don't think you'd use that latter route possibly more than once, depending on where you're staying. Where have you booked a hotel?

Italo - a private high-speed rail company - has ticket prices which can beat Trenitalia's but they ONLY have high-speed rail, and Trenitala passes don't cover their trains.

You'll use local transport - or none at all - within Florence and Rome: both are very walkable. On the Amalfi coast, you'll use SITA buses or ferries to get around. Pompeii from Sorrento is via Circumvesuviana.

I'm guessing your only journeys might be Rome and Florence, and Florence to somewhere on the Amalfi Coast; the coastal journey will likely involve more than one method of transport, such as high-speed to Naples, and Circumvesuviana, private driver or ferry to Sorrento. If flying back to the US from Rome, you want to be IN or at least closer to Rome on the night before your flight, thus a journey back from the coast. Are you looking at doing a day trip from Florence?

Oh, and as mentioned above, you'd need to make seat reservations for the Trenitalia high-speed trains even if using their pass.

Posted by
15807 posts

You're welcome. Anymore questions, the RS forum gang is here for ya so ask away! :O)