Please sign in to post.

Italy trip 2019

Hi, we are going on a 7 day Greek Isle cruise from Oct 6 -13, 2019 and the departure port is Venice Italy. Since this our first time we are thinking of arriving 2 weeks before the cruise to explore Italy. We need recommendations what are the best places / cities to visit for two weeks. Thank you so much for feedbacks and recommendations.

Cherry DC

Posted by
32200 posts

cherry,

It would help if you could provide more information about your interests, what you most want to see, etc. If you have a Library near by, have a look at the Rick Steves Italy guidebook as that's an excellent resource for planning sightseeing, hotels, etc.

As your cruise starts in Venice, you might start in Rome and work your way north. Two weeks will provide a good opportunity to cover several cities.

Posted by
27063 posts

But don't try to move around as fast as Rick's tours do--or as fast as Rick suggests in his books. Take time to smell the pizza.

Posted by
138 posts

I suggest you to catch cheap tickets to Naples and then explore Amalfi Coast with Sorrento, then going up to Rome, Florence and end in Venice a few days before your cruise departs. So you basically do the best of Italy in the opposite direction. I guess thats the most popular route in Italy. I agree with Pompeii tour mentioned above. One of the best places to check while in Italy. But I heard its not fully accessible if you have problems with walking or use wheelchair. Anyways, you've chosen great trip and you'll certainly enjoy it a lot

Posted by
7642 posts

There are lots of great places to visit in Italy. We have been there several times.

For first time, I would stick to the big three, Rome, Florence and Venice.

Fly into Rome spend about 5-6 days there, then on to Florence, spend 4-5 days there with a day trip to Siena.

Then continue on the train to Venice for the last 3 days or so.

When your cruise ship leaves Venice find a good place on the upper deck to view the city, it is amazing.

I recommend a great small, botique hotel in Florence on the Arno, it is the Hotel Balesteri.

For Venice, I suggest a hotel near the main train station for cost savings. Use the People Mover from the Piazalle Roma to get to the port.

Posted by
1 posts

Hi everyone.

We're planning a trip to Italy in June, 6/12 - 6/27. Based on my research, our thoughts are to stay 4 nights in Rome, 3 nights in Florence, 3 nights in Cinque Terrace, and 3 nights in Venice. It'd be my wife and I, and two teenagers (15 and 17). I'd love ideas, thoughts, suggestions on how to plan this trip from accommodations, to travel planning and what to see on each city, are we staying enough time on each destination, or maybe too much time, transportation, did we pick the correct cities to explore as much of the historical and cultural part of Italy? Thank you so much for your help, guys.

Posted by
15800 posts

Hi orlandoandino and welcome to the forums -
It would be best if you start a new thread with your questions rather than piggyback on cherry's. It can be confusing to try and offer advice for two completely different trips on the same thread. :O)

Also, a guidebook will be a great place to start researching the attractions in each city which may appeal to you, how to get around, etc. If you haven't yet reserved accommodations in Cinque Terre for June, you're going to want to get right on that as the region books up fast and early for high season.