Please sign in to post.

Italy travel suggestions-late April 2012

Hi all I am planning a 10 day trip to include Florence, Cinque Terre, and Tuscan hill towns. Thinking about 3 nights in Florence, 3 nights in Cinque Terre, and 4 nights in Tuscan hill towns. Figuring to fly in and out of Florence, take train to Cinque Terre. So most of my questions revolve around Tuscany Where would you spend 4 nights? I`d like to visit and stay in 2-3 towns. Is a car necessary or is train travel feasible? Also welcome any suggestions for hotels, travel tips etc for other locations. I have been back for 9 days now form last trip and am itching to get started with the next one!!! Thanks Mike DC

Posted by
11375 posts

Mike:
Like you, I was planning my next trip before I returned from the first one. We spent 6 nights in Tuscany split between Siena and Montalcino. I am glad we stayed two places, and equally glad we had a car. I don't think I would have liked one night stays. So you might choose 4 nights in one place and daytrip out, or pick no more than 2 places to stay two nights each. Which towns? Tough decision. What do you like to do? Is wine important? Museums and art? Scenic drives? HIking? The area between Montalcino and Montepulciano is gorgeous. We also loved Volterra. Frankly, although I am glad we saw it, we did not "like" Siena so much. Preferred the smaller towns. This website http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/tuscany/monte_cetona.htm might give you some inspiration. Note while it links to a specific drive, in the right hand nav bar there are a number of other links to drives and tours.

Posted by
396 posts

I just returned from two weeks in Italy...all by train travel. Worked perfectly! As far as the Tuscany region. You could stay in Lucca and take day trips to San giamangio (spelling is not right, sorry) or Barga....one hour bus trips from Lucca. Lucca is a jewel in my opinion. You could also stay in Siena (I LOVED Siena) and do the same thing. Have good recommendations for hotels in both towns. If you are interested, send me an email and I will provide name and location. CT is my next trip...so can't help you with that area, yet!

Posted by
192 posts

Great tips Laurel and Karren-thank you for them Mike
DC

Posted by
2 posts

Oh, I agree with Karren. Lucca was a great place to stay - charming walled city came very near to buying an apartment there. Staying in one place gives you a better sense of the people and culture. Make Lucca your home base, explore it one day (make sure you ride bicycles around the city walls) and then you can hop the trains just about anywhere. I have done Italy with and without cars. It is very easy to explore by train and I love conversing with Italians (and even other tourists) during my train rides. Very relaxing and I found a really great trattoria that way. Enjoy!!