Please sign in to post.

Italy travel

We are traveling in Germany at present but have travel plans to take a train to Italy. I have already cancelled our plans for Verona and Venice. Do I cancel our plans to Florence, Rome and the Almalfi Coast for the month of March? Perhaps take a train to southern France? Or is it better to fly - hate to not use our Eurail tickets but will if better to fly. Biggest worry is not being able to get out of Italy if the virus breaks out in other places. Looking for advice - we are in Berlin now and will be going to Munich tomorrow 2/26 and then to Fussen for a few days. Thank you.

Posted by
186 posts

I'm sure you have seen the most recent reports of an outbreak in southern Italy as well. It seems like it is just a guessing game that no one has the answer to as far as where it will be a safe bet to travel. The Italians were quick to lock down the northern areas of the outbreak so you can probably anticipate the same elsewhere in the country.

Posted by
3812 posts

Do you realize that there is an open border between Southern France and Northern Italy? That Florence, Rome and the Amalfi Coast are more distant from the quarantined cities around Milan than Southern France and the Italian Speaking Swiss Cantons?

Thank God the 3 cases outbreak in Southern Italy happened in Sicily, where the entry points are easier to control.

https://lab.gedidigital.it/gedi-visual/2020/coronavirus-i-contagi-in-italia/?ref=RHPPTP-BH-I249215369-C12-P2-S1.12-L

Posted by
392 posts

As of yesterday there were two confirmed cases in Florence.
There are also new cases in Rome.

The Domus Transitoria on Palatine hill just suspended using the goggles for their virtual tour - I assume to reduce the possible spread of the virus from visitor to visitor.

Posted by
6319 posts

I can't give you any advice, but personally I'd consider going somewhere else just to avoid closed museums and any other troubles. But France is not a great country for Eurail pass travellers as most long distance trains require reservations that can be a bit pricy. Maybe Benelux, Denmark, Czech Republic or Poland instead?