Please sign in to post.

Italy Train Travel

I am taking a cruise leaving from Civitavecchia on Saturday October 20. If I land in Rome at 9:30 am Friday morning, would it be possible to take a train to Cinque Terre, spend the night there, and then take the train back to Civitavecchia Saturday in time to make the 5:00 pm departure of the cruise? Perhaps I'm trying to squeeze too much in the brief time in Italy before going on the cruise. Thanks

Posted by
23290 posts

Ah Scheererville - old stomping grounds - Crown Point, Merrillville Where in C Terre? That is an area, not a town. Look at a map. CT is a fair distance from Rome - 3 to 4 hours. Without checking schedules don't know if you could get a train to Civit... directly without connecting through Rome. Civit is 45 mins to 1 hr 15 from Rome depending on train. I would not do it but you might go as far as Florence.

Posted by
32213 posts

Mario, While that trip is feasible, it's not really worth the effort for one night, especially after a long international flight. If your plane lands at 09:30, you may not clear Passport control, collect your luggage and get to the airport rail station before 11:00. Then you'll have to wait for up to half an hour for the next Leonardo Express, which will take another 35 minutes to reach Roma Termini. It's possible that you won't reach Termini before about 11:30. You may be able to connect with a train departing Termini at 12:10, arriving La Spezia Centrale at 15:51. You'll transfer there to the local train, but may have another short wait until departure. If you're only going as far as Riomaggiore, the ride is only about 10-minutes from La Spezia. Overall, it may be 17:00 until you finally check in to your Hotel. The trip back will be about another four hours to Roma Termini, which should allow you lots of time to get to Civitavecchia to board your cruise. HOWEVER, if there are any "complications" on the trip from the C.T. to Civitavecchia such as a Sciopero, you could end up waving "goodbye" as your ship sails off into the distance. If you'd rather not stay in Rome after you arrive, you could perhaps spend the night in Orvieto, as it's only about an hour from Termini. Happy travels!

Posted by
7737 posts

You are indeed trying to squeeze too much in the brief time in Italy before going on the cruise. The CT are very nice, but they're not indispensable. Go explore Rome instead. Here's a website to tell you exactly what you can do: Ron in Rome's Rome in a Day for Cruisers.

Posted by
96 posts

The Cinque Terre deserves more than the time you would have to experience it. Part of visiting that area is the relaxing nature of the small towns and the walks between them, a great example of a place that Rick might consider a "vacation from your vacation". Enjoy your cruise and make your next trip to Italy the northern part, including at least a couple of days in the Cinque Terre area.

Posted by
2 posts

Thanks to all for your input! I believe now it will be better to visit the Cinque Terre area on my next Italy trip, when we will have more time to enjoy it.

Posted by
32213 posts

Mario, Just to pique your interest for your next trip to Italy and the Cinque Terre, you may enjoy watching This short video.

Posted by
1540 posts

Thanks for the link to the video. I have been to Cinque Terre several times and not heard of this wine.
I'll be going back in Sept. and will definitely try a bottle.