Please sign in to post.

Italy train travel

Another question regarding our trip. Taking a cruise from Rome, but want to tack on extra at each end of the trip. Would we be better off to fly in and out of Rome, then travel Italy or fly into Venice and take the train to Rome? Anyone have information on train travel from Venice to Rome?

Posted by
100 posts

We took RS's advice and flew into to Venice, out of Rome. Any, usually small, difference in price is well worth seeing the extra sights AND not having to double-back. We did the trains from Venice to Florence, Florence to CT, and CT to Rome - wonderful!

Posted by
4152 posts

You don't say how much time you will be adding to the front and back of your cruise. If it is three or more days in the front and your cruise starts and ends in Rome then I would fly into Venice and out of Rome. If it is one day and the cruise starts in Rome I would fly into and out of Rome.

It is hard to give suggestions as I don't know what your plans are. The trip by train from Venice to Rome is 4 hours, so if you only have a day or two it might not be worth the limited time to fly into Venice. You won't have that much time to see and enjoy the city. With 3 or more days you could spend your first 2 days in Venice and then take the train to Rome to get set up for the tour. If it is less than that I would just fly into the city the cruise leaves from (I am assuming Rome-the port of civitavecchia) and fly out of the city you dock in.

Donna

Posted by
149 posts

Our time in Italy is open. The cruise from Rome is 7 days, other than that we have time to spend in Rome and Venice. thinking more about flying into Venice, taking the train to Rome. How many days would you recommend in each city?

Posted by
255 posts

I recommend an early flight into Venice and hit the deck running. We did this on our last trip and were able to see everything on our list by staying 2 days and nights. If I had it to do over again, I would have stayed an extra day and night. Also recommend that you plan to arrive in Rome and overnight there the evening before your cruise. That way if there are travel issues, you have a little more chance to correct them and still arrive in time to make your cruise. On returning to Rome, I would allow a minimum 4 days/nights to see the city.