Please sign in to post.

Italy train travel

Are there any alternatives to the railpass for traveling in Italy? Germany has a Landesticket and Wochende ticket which are a bargain. Thanks

Posted by
23282 posts

Italian trains are cheap that many of the other rail systems. There are some limited discounted advance purchase tickets available but no general pass similar to the German systems.

Posted by
306 posts

Typically, buying point to point is the way to go.

Posted by
153 posts

I am not aware of any. I think you will hear a lot of folks on this board advise against getting a rail pass and simply buying your tickets as you need them.

Posted by
32212 posts

Richard, You might want to have a look at This Excellent Website for information on trains and tickets in Italy. As I recall, there are some discounted tickets if purchased a few days prior to travel, but these tend to be limited in number.

Posted by
4152 posts

You can search the trenitalia website for "mini" fares. These are deeply discounted fares that only require you to purchase them the day before travel. They are capacity controlled so if you can buy them online you should. Generally speaking, a rail pass is usually never cheaper than point to point tickets in Italy. Donna