Please sign in to post.

Italy the 1st 2 weeks in DEC 2017

We took the RS Venice, Florence, Rome trip Oct 2015 and then spent another 10days on our own in Sorrento, Herculanium, Amalfi Coast, and Florence again (we just LOVED Florence).

I turn the BIG 50 Dec 2017 and we are contemplating our options for a trip. We love Europe and the Xmas Markets, but we just got back from a Rhine River Xmas Market Cruise (we did the Danube Markets in 2013). We've also considered NYC or Disney (I know, this is RS . . . I'm just telling you what I'm considering). We are also considering returning to Italy - we absolutely LOVED it.

We will be going the 1st 2 weeks in DEC. Thoughts for that time of year? Where to go? We just loved Venice and Florence.

We want to get to the Lake Como area, but that should probably be a Summer or Fall trip. We've read that there are small, but nice Xmas markets in Verona, Aosta, Trento, Balzano, Cortina d’Ampezzo - has anyone been?

We also considered going to Prague and then taking a train to some other Xmas Markets in Germany.

Would love some of your ideas. We will NOT have a car. Is Italy good in Dec?

Thanks!!

Posted by
3182 posts

I've been to Italy in December on three different trips and enjoyed the lack of crowds immensely. I don't know about other cities but the city of Como had a wonderful Christmas market on Piazza Cavour which fronts on the lake.

Posted by
23349 posts

A couple of issues that are easy to work around. The days are short and the weather more risky for rain or snow and cold weather. We were in Prague over New Year a couple of years and it was cold and snowy. We are from the mountains of Colorado so it was typical weather for us so we were prepared and it didn't bother us. But if you are from Florida it will be miserable for you. The Prague markets were still open through NYs but all the German markets closed on Christmas eve. We had spent Christmas in Munich. I think Italy might be potentially warmer by a few degrees but no experience in winter.