Please sign in to post.

Italy over Easter

My daughter will be going to school in Florence and we want to go spend Easter with her. Is there anythiing open for site-seeing over the Easter Holiday? We were considering taking a side trip to Scanno but didn't know if things would be open or if there are things we shouldn't miss in Florence....any advice on traveling over the Holiday?

Posted by
2177 posts

Not sure about Florence; in the smaller towns things are closed up tight on Easter Sunday AND ALSO Easter Monday. Public transportation to/from smaller towns is non-existent. On the other hand, there are wonderful things about being in Italy at Eastertime - processions and so forth.

Posted by
201 posts

thank you. That is exactly the information I was looking for. Does anyone know what time the prosessions usually take place? Are restaurants open?

Posted by
2876 posts

If you're in Florence on Easter Sunday, don't miss the "Scoppio del Carro" in the Piazza del Duomo. It's an amazingly colorful spectacle/festival that's been going on since the 15th century with bands, ceremonial fireworks, parades in medieval costumes, etc. Get there early because the piazza gets jammed with spectators by 10 AM or so. We stumbled on it by accident a few years ago and it was one of the highlights of that trip to Italy.

Posted by
101 posts

Don't forget also about Good Friday. So there are good chances of some closures or reduced hours at least on GOOD FRIDAY EASTER SUNDAY
EASTER MONDAY Easter is a venerated and much-honored holiday in Italy. That said, the major museums in Florence wouldn't be open on Monday, anyway (Uffizi, Accademia)--holiday or not, so secondary sights would have to fill your day (easy to do). I'd stay in Florence (rather than going to a smaller town outside) and be flexible about trying to see the sights. When Easter gets a bit closer, you might be able to research better info of what local sightseeing is going to be available as normal or is restricted.