Please sign in to post.

Italy over Christmas 2012

We are going to be in Italy between right before Christmas until New Years Eve. Rome, Florence, and Venice. We have read all recent posts and are still looking for a little advice. Things to do in each town Christmas Eve & Christmas Day. We were leaning towards Rome for Christmas but could be swayed to the other cities and spend non holiday time in Rome if that is better. Liked the idea of walking tours on days attractions are closed. We are traveling with 11,13 and 16 year olds who are all seasoned travelers.

Posted by
6 posts

My friends actually stayed in Rome for Christmas and actually was surprised that they enjoyed it so much. I just asked them what they did and actually was surprised to learn that the locals invited them for dinner. Keep your plans for Rome. The teenagers will experience the real art of Christmas if you stayed there. Cheers.

Posted by
143 posts

I was on a RS Tour in Rome over Christmas week a few years ago and it was terrific. Most places are going to be closed on Christmas Day you'll be able to find food of course. On that day, we did a walk around town and visited several large displays of presipi (manger scenes) throughout Rome. Attending Midnight Mass (whether or not you are Catholic) on Christmas Eve is a moving experience. You'll need a ticket for St. Peter's (free but need to reverse in advance) Check Vatican web site for details or ask at a local Catholic Church in your area. There are four other major basilicas in Rome and hundreds of churches. I went to Midnight Mass at St. Mary Major since it was only a few blocks from my hotel near the Termini train station. Also, there is a lot of activity in St. Peter's Square on Christmas Day a living nativity scene, brass bands, and, the Pope addressing people from literally all over the world in his "Urbi et Orbi" address. Here's a link with more info: http://www.revealedrome.com/2010/12/see-pope-rome-christmas-visit-midnight-mass-immaculate-conception.html

Posted by
7737 posts

Excellent information on Rome over the Christmas holidays can be found at the very excellent Ron In Rome website: Roman Holidays