Please sign in to post.

Italy Oct. 2011

We will be taking a driving trip in northern Italy in Oct. 2011(Lake Como, Cinque Terra, etc.) How far ahead do we need to reserve hotel rooms?

Posted by
10344 posts

If you know which days you will be in what towns, there's no reason to unduly delay, as you'll get better deals if you reserve in advance. But if you don't know which days you'll be where, then you can wait.

Posted by
11339 posts

Kathy: We went in October 2010 and I made my lodging reservatiosn as soon as I had my flights nailed down. About this time last year I was making my final choices of B&Bs in Venice, the CT, throughout Tuscany and Rome. When the flights were set I started emailing the for reservations. Only had to make one deposit for 7 places we stayed (3 week trip). I was able to secure every one of my "first choice" picks. I did change two reservations about a month before we traveled based on Trip Advisor reviews and new information, so keep monitoring after you reserve. So start soon!

Posted by
787 posts

Last year, we decided in February to go to Italy in October, so we made hotel reservations in late February and early March. Keep in mind that hotels in more seasonal or rural places (maybe Lake Como?) sometimes close for the winter, so you may not hear back so promptly from those places.

Posted by
12172 posts

I was there a few years ago in October/November and only reserved in Rome (I might not have except my Roman friend insisted and picked the hotel). On travel days, we called in the mornings for the night's lodging.