Please sign in to post.

Italy May 2023 with kids

We are planning a trip to Amalfi Coast, Rome, and Tuscany with a total of 4 adults and 6 kids (ages 4-9). We will be staying 12 days give or take. Planning to fly into Naples and out of Rome. We would like to stay in places that would accommodate the whole crew but are ok with splitting up if needed. We would like to train from large cities and utilize buses and possibly private driver if necessary but don't really want to drive ourselves. We are wanting to do site seeing in Rome but are looking more for experiences and enjoying our time together in the other two cities. We have realistic expectations with all these kiddos as well in terms of what the trip will look
like :)

I would love some recommendations on cities to stay in in Tuscany and Amalfi Coast. We would like a farm/winery/pool for Tuscany but close to town so we can explore. Any other suggestions in Tuscany for experiences/tour would be great.
In Amalfi it would be nice to walk to the beach. Is busing around Amalfi doable with our group? Is getting to lunch/dinner relatively doable walking? We would like to do a boat tour either on the coast or to capri, doable with kiddos or not recommended? What other activities or things to do that you might suggest?

Thanks for reading and any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Posted by
3812 posts

There are no actual beaches on the Amalfi Coast, kids will hike between the villages on day 1, see the coast from a ferry on day 2 and then I am afraid they would start gettin' bored. You'd better tell the 9 years old they must find on the internet something they would like to do in Campania. If they discover by themselves there is a Roman villa buried under a Church in Positano, they might be interested in seeing it and learning more about the rich Romans who lived there 2,000 years ago.

Amalfi is too small to actually "bus around", but it seems you have already decided where to stay.

Why are you flying home from Rome and not from Pisa? Lack of direct flight to the US?

Posted by
2657 posts

We stayed on the Amalfi coast and I too have a hard time imaging it as kid friendly. The beaches are all stony, for example. And crowded. The buses were jammed. We often waited for the next one and stood. The ferries were a more enjoyable way to see the coast.