Please sign in to post.

Italy March/April 2008

We are planning a trip to Italy in March or April of 2008. We are avoiding the Easter season and flying into Rome and out of Milan. We plan to stay two weeks and our rough draft trip is … Rome to Assisi to Siena to Florence to Venice to Cinque Terre to Milan. We are staying in the Cinque Terre more than any of the other cities. I am trying to buy airline tickets and my travel agent told me that that most of Italy, especially the Cinque Terre, is closed down for the winter until April. The problem is that the airfare prices double between March and April. Has anyone been to the Cinque Terre in early March? If so what are your thoughts on things to do? We don’t want to attend festivals, just go to the beach, kayak, and see the landmarks of Italy. We would like to avoid the tourist crowds, but want to have activities or just something to do while we’re there.

Thanks in advance for your help:)

Posted by
359 posts

I'm curious what kind of airfare prices your TA is finding that makes it double. I did a quick check on Kayak.com and all through March it's about the same. The price does jump up a few hundred dollars in April.
My first thought is that it could be higher (right now) because current discounted fares are only stretching into March, and April is higher because we're only in November right now.
It could also be because it's getting closer to the high season. Or it could be a combination.
What does your TA mean by "close down"?

Posted by
18 posts

I checked on my own orbitz about two weeks ago and the price per person was $567 round trip in mid-March. My travel agent said to call her in Nov or Dec because I called her too early during the summer. So tonight I called her and she stated that March was not a good time to go because there are not many activities because many places are not open during the winter season. She stated that a ticket in April would be $900 a person through Northwest. I checked on obrtiz tonight and noticed that even their prices had gone up from the original prices in March to about $639 for the exact same dates. I am leaning towards purchasing my own airline tickets, when is a good time to wait to buy tickets for March/April?

Posted by
3313 posts

Seeing the landmarks of Italy shouldn't be too much of a problem. You'll be chancing rain and cold but slim crowds.

I'm really surprised that airfares would double between March and April. Between April and late May, maybe. Others who follow this board are more knowledgeable about plane fare strategies.

For me, the real issue is what an everyday experience outdoors will be like. I love going in May when the days are longer and the travel infrastructure is awakening. Spending time in a place that is still closed for the season is dull. Frankly, the CT's charms are its painted houses, small town feel and the views while hiking. If you can't hike because the trails are muddy and the small towns are shuttered, you'd sure better like looking at painted houses.

Posted by
127 posts

i posted this b-4, ..."one more time"..i bought air fare from denver to rome in feb.:$1089.00, for april 28,last year. thru a ticket agent..on a whim, i looked at orbitz first week of april: SAME plane, SAME flight, for 860.00!!! after a wrangle, i got a voucher for 240.00 that i need to use in a year.so don't think you get "rewarded" booking early.its a crap shoot, the logic [i have had this explained , but ]..the logic baffels me.

Posted by
3551 posts

Buy your air tickets whenever it reaches a fare that you are ok with. It will only go up look at gas /diesel/jet fuel prices.

Posted by
1127 posts

I would get a new travel agent. The only area of Italy that closes down in the winter is the beach resort areas. The Cinque Terre will be very slow in the winter but the other cities you mentioned operate as usual.

Posted by
3580 posts

This is why I operate as my own travel agent. Get ahold of a couple of Italy travel books, read them, and then start looking for lodging. I think January would probably be the slowest month for parts of Italy. The beaches don't "close," but the cabanas and other beach-related businesses may wait until Easter or later to start operating. In 2008, Easter is March 23; the day after Easter is also a holiday in Italy. That is the weekend you should definitely get hotel/B&B reservations ahead of time.

Posted by
139 posts

Perry, you need to book your flights. Be flexible. Prices are going up because of oil heading towards $100 a barrel. Doubt prices are going to go down unless people quit traveling because they can't swing it because of gas and everything else going up. If they do go down your it will be too late to get hotel etc because the europeans will have them booked.

Posted by
18 posts

Ron,
Did you see some tickets for $639? If so where at. That is an excellent price:) I sent you a private email just to say thanks.

Rhiannon

Posted by
18 posts

Thanks Ron for all the great info.

Sorry I forgot about posting the price regarding March. After that posting I starting focusing just on April dates (which are much higher right now). I think I will aim for mid March or early April. I will look into switching up a few stops like you and others suggested.

Thanks again,
R Perry