Please sign in to post.

Italy July 2025

We have been considering a RS tour for the first time to celebrate our 40th anniversary. We were thinking Italy but friends alerted us to The Year of Jubilee and advised against it because of a massive influx of visitors. Any advice? We have not traveled the world much so we are open to your suggestions. Thank you.

Posted by
6278 posts

We've only done one RS tour. We enjoyed it very much. We have been traveling independently in Europe for over 10 years. We can come up with an itinerary, book lodging and figure out transportation. We decided to book a tour that helps us with logistics (mostly tickets) and with learning about the sites we see. Most places, we can use a guide and study up on history etc., before we go. We decided to do Rome on a RS tour, because its a place where getting tickets for some of the places can be difficult and because we really didn't have much background of ancient Rome and Italy. We felt if we went independently, we'd end up hiring guides anyway. Another reason for a tour or cruise or whatever, is the social aspect of it, being with other travelers. We felt the Rome tour met our needs. We decided that we may do the London tour at some point for similar reasons. If there were parts of Europe that made us nervous to travel on our own, that might be another consideration.

Italy is really nice, but its sounds like July 2025 could be busier than ever. I've really enjoyed other places we've visited, maybe as much as Italy. I'd watch the RS videos/tv shows and see what "calls" to you.

If you are going to travel in July, you might think about your weather tolerance and that could dictate your options.

Posted by
4734 posts

if you "have not traveled the world much," take a tour or use a travel agent. Get your feet wet.

And if you haven't been somewhere before, how would you know if it's more crowded than usual, and would it matter?

I also think there are only going to be certain sites of religious significance in Rome (maybe Assisi?) that will see most of the Jubilee tourism.

Posted by
8122 posts

If you could go in early May or October that would probably be a more pleasant experience. July has me shaking my head no, having experienced that twice.

Posted by
27604 posts

Much of Italy is very hot to brutally hot on many (most? nearly all?) summer days. I`m way up north (but not in the mountains), and I'm facing 95F today and 92F tomorrow. It was hotter at my previous stop, Treviso.

Posted by
29 posts

I've been six times to Rome so really love the place. BUT it isn't so great when it's very hot and very crowded which is probably will be in July 2025. If can go anytime from later autumn to earlyish spring.

Posted by
5134 posts

If your hearts are set on Italy, then go for it regardless of what you have been told. Can't think of a better way to celebrate an anniversary. All the hotel and transportation logistics (except air flights and getting to the meeting place) will be handled for you. And what you pay is what you pay -- no nickle and diming nor tipping local guides and drivers. Even if there are more people that usual, there will not be such a massive influx that your trip will be ruined. Go and enjoy!

Posted by
6278 posts

If you have your heart set on Rome in July, I think doing it with a RS tour is a great idea. Its a way to mitigate the impact of larger crowds since RS tours will handle tickets and logistics. If you really want to see the forum, coliseum and the Vatican museum, double check that those venues are on the tour.

If I had to go to Europe in July, I'd consider Scandinavia, Baltic countries or Iceland.

Posted by
27604 posts

There are two ways to look at this:

• Will Italy in July be more interesting than being at home? Yes, massively so. Unless you have really significant issues with heat, you will have a good time.

• Is July a good time to go to Italy? No, it is not (unless you're heading for the mountains). Unless there are July-date-specific events important to you, you will enjoy Italy considerably more during a cooler time of year. And Europe is full of fabulous destinations, some of which will not be unremittingly hot in July like most of Italy. A more comfortable July trip is very likely to be had in one of the northern countries (or in the mountains). However, if you have your heart set on Italy, you might not fully enjoy an alternative destination even if the weather is glorious.

I try to align my itinerary to expected weather, as Jules suggested. However, I'm suffering in the Italian heat right now. I'm going to Venice next month for a week-long special event, and spending the immediately preceding weeks in northern Europe didn't fit well with the rest of my Iitinerary, because I don't like to take intra-European flights unless I have to. I am paying the price now, perspiring my way through northern Italy.