Please sign in to post.

Italy Itinerary questions

Hello,
Going on my first trip to Italy in September and I have 16 days. I have most of my itinerary down but I do have a few days that I'm undecided on. Here's my itinerary showing the extra days:

3 nights - Rome
2 nights - ? Open. Should I stay two more nights in Rome or go south to Amalfi Coast?
1 night - Siena
3 nights - Florence
3 nights - Cinque Terre
2 nights - Venice
1 night - Venice airport We have an early flight so staying near the airport.

Hopefully I didn't bite off too much but I'd love to get the expert opinions.

Regards,
Jason

Posted by
1046 posts

You've got a wonderful trip ahead of you! You have on your list some great places to visit. I do have a few questions for you (hopefully to help you ask yourself 'what do I want to do?).

It looks like you're flying into Rome and out of Venice. Good choice I think!
The Amalfi Coast is not too difficult to get to, but where are you thinking? I'd suggest 3 nights in Sorrento. You could do a day trip to Positano/Amalfi or Capri (not sure you'd have enough time to do all 3. That's a 'what do I want to do?' issue.
As much as I love Siena, have you considered making it a day trip from Florence? By bus it is quite easy. That saves you from packing and unpacking a suitcase.

The extra night I suggested in Sorrento could be taken from Cinque Terre. But again that's a 'what do . . .?'
Venice is my favorite place on the planet so I'm prejudiced. How early is your flight? There isn't anything to do around the airport so if you can squeeze that last night on the island I'd highly recommend it.
You also don't say who is going - like how many, ages (kids? seniors?), interests. Put all that into the mix when asking the question 'what do I . . .?' More nights someplace or less times packing/unpacking or less time traveling. Figure you lose 1/2 day for each change of location.
Whatever make the planning part of the fun and let the excitement build! And think about your return trip to Italy soon!

Posted by
3601 posts

I’m a confirmed “less is more” traveler, so I would recommend adding both of those nights to Rome. Remember that 2 nights = 1.5 days, at best, possibly just 1. If you are arriving from N.America, you will likely be in less than peak form on your first day. Rome is very large and has a a long and varied history. Even with 5 nights, you’ll just scratch the surface.

Posted by
11193 posts

Amalfi Coast is way out of the way given your other destinations. As you will be in CT, you will get your edge of the water village experience. And 2 more nights in Rome will be quite enjoyable. Doing the additional nights in Rome gives you time to do Ostia Antica, if you want a change of pace from Rome itself.

Posted by
1103 posts

Here is another vote for adding days to Rome and skipping the Amalfi Coast. Siena makes a nice day trip from Florence, if you want to eliminate another overnight stop.

Posted by
15826 posts

Hi there -
You're going to ave a great time! I'd definitely add your extra time to Rome. 3 nights will only give you 2.5 days (your .5 arrival day could be a jet-lagged haze) and there's a LOT to see in that one. 5 nights/4.5 days will give you ample room to adjust to Italy time and explore a fascinating city without have to just run from one attraction to the next.

And I'd agree with looking at doing Siena as a day trip from Florence to eliminate a hotel move.

Posted by
5 posts

Thanks for the quick replies.

I should add more info. The trip will be with myself and my bride. Neither one of us have been to Italy before but I've traveled significantly in other parts of the world. We actually have most of our hotels booked so really the only changes we can make now are on the two nights after Rome (or we stay in Rome an extra two nights) and Cinque Terre which we haven't booked yet. Our departure flight from Venice is at 10:30am so I figured it would be easier to fall out of bed at 6am and get to the airport.

If we were to stay in Rome for two extra nights is it possible or worth going on a day trip to Amalfi Coast or Capri?

Also, we are traveling by train or bus throughout this trip if that makes any difference.

Really appreciate everyone's input.

Posted by
5 posts

Wow, you guys are fast. I'll have to look up Ostia Antica.

I was worried that Amalfi would be a lot of travel compared to sightseeing time.

Posted by
15826 posts

If we were to stay in Rome for two extra nights is it possible or
worth going on a day trip to Amalfi Coast or Capri?

Personally? I'd save the coast for another trip. The region really requires a minimum of 3-4 nights to do it any justice, and you'll get your lovely sea views in the C.T. It would also be time-consuming and expensive for the short amount of time you'd have there. If you wanted to day-trip from Rome, you might look at Orvieto or the excavation at Ostia Antica instead.

Posted by
15826 posts

Here's a good site in English for Ostia Antica. You do not have to pre-order tickets. :O)
Editing to add: this is an easy and inexpensive trip from Rome.

http://www.ostiaanticatickets.it/en/index.php

I'd put the giddiyup on your reservations in the CT, OK? That's one busy place.

Posted by
1625 posts

With 15 nights you can totally do the Amalfi Coast, but you would need to shave some time off of another place. I would take the night in Siena away (you can see Sienna as a day trip from Florence) and a night from Cinque Terre (2 night is plenty) then you have 4 full nights in Amalfi. Base in Sorrento (fast Train from Roma Termini to Napoli then a regional train Naples to Sorrento). Or with those two extra night you can add a night to Rome and do 3 nights Sorrento/Amalfi. Just know that you may feel on the go-go-go with this kind of itinerary. Not sure how you like to travel. We like moving around a lot and exploring.

This is YOUR trip do it YOUR way. With three nights in ANY place your just going to scratch the surface but it is such an adventure.

Posted by
381 posts

Another vote for saving the Amalfi Coast for another trip. Also, finding lodging for September in Cinque Terre at this point may be a determining factor. I would add your two open nights to Rome or one night each to Venice and Florence. If Cinque Terre lodging is an issue (we were there September of 2016 and booked our room in January 2016) you may consider using those nights in Umbria.

Posted by
11193 posts

If we were to stay in Rome for two extra nights is it possible or worth going on a day trip to Amalfi Coast or Capri?

Only if you like feeling like road kill the next day.

"Possible"-- logistically, probably

"Worth it"-- a big NO in my mind

Posted by
5 posts

Thanks everyone for your responses. I'm going to talk to my girlfriend tonight and see what she thinks.

Posted by
1234 posts

Definitely skip Amalfi Coast this time. It is out of your way, and to me, not practical, since you are going to Cinque Terre. I agree with others, add 2 nights to Rome and do short day trips from there if you wish.

Posted by
1225 posts

For a 10:30 flight out of Venice, Marco Polo, you would have no trouble making your flight if you were to stay in Venice. Buses run frequently, every 20 minutes, and it is a 25 minute ride. First bus runs around 4:40 AM.

Posted by
15591 posts

I'd change the itinerary around. It's less travel time to go from Rome to the Cinque Terre, then to Florence/Siena and then to Venice. As for the time allocation, I'd spend at least one more night in Rome - assume you'll be jetlagged on arrival so even after your first night on the ground . . . and for your first full day . . . you may be in a haze. Rome has lots of major sights and even 3 full days isn't a lot, especially if you're going to use a 1/2 day for Ostia Antica (recommended). If you aren't interesting in hiking, 3N in the CT may be a lot. How about 2N there and 2N in Siena? For 1-2N between Florence and Venice, you could stop in Ferrara, Bologna, Padua or Verona. But I'd probably opt for another night in Rome. So Rome 5N, CT 2N, Siena 2N, Florence 3N, Venice 3N. Slow down and sip the wine. Less is truly more in Italy.

Instead of changing hotels for your last night in Venice, you could stay walking distance to the train/bus stations and take a land taxi to the airport if the first bus out is too late for your flight. It's not the most desirable part of the city, but it's perfectly fine and all of Venice is not that big, so you are never far from anything.

Posted by
5 posts

Thanks everyone for your advice and suggestions. We decided to take it a little slower and spend the additional time in Rome and Cinque Terre. We weren't able to get the additional nights at our already booked hotel which is kinda cool since we can spend a few nights near the Pantheon and the last two nights near Monti. Now we have all our rooms booked up so we get to plan what we are going to do in each place. This is a great forum and I can't wait to learn more for our trip.

5 nights - Rome
1 night - Siena
3 nights - Florence
3 nights - Cinque Terre
3 nights - Venice

Regards,
Jason

Posted by
15826 posts

Ah, excellent that you nailed down your reservations in the CT. Your latest itinerary looks a lot less hectic: well done!

Now for the fun part!!!!