Please sign in to post.

ITALY ITINERARY HELP PLEASE!

We will be in Florence from the morning of July 28th departing to the Amalfi Coast on July 31st. I was considering driving to Cinque Terre for a day trip. Is this a reasonable plan? Should I forgo CT and spend the time I have in Florence staying put or should we consider other day trips?
Thanks!

Posted by
15807 posts

Personally, I think there's plenty in Florence to fill your three days - especially if you are arriving in the city that first day. It may depend on your interests, though? I'm a huge fan of Italian Renaissance art, and there's just oodles of that to see there!

But if you do go the C.T. I would definitely take the train. You cannot drive into most of the villages, and parking can be a real headache. If you must drive, park it in La Spezia and take the train in.

Posted by
1501 posts

Three days in Florence will barely scratch the surface. I would consider staying in Florence for the entire three days. It would almost be redundant to go to Cinque Terre since you're going to the Amalfi Coast. It would take away too much time from Florence which is amazing. You'd be spending too much time on the train, when you could be exploring what Florence has to offer.

Posted by
7356 posts

As noted above, you may have different interests, but the Cinque Terra are nice for more than just a quickie part-of-a-day side trip visit. I haven't been back since the devastating floods from a couple of years ago, so it would be nice to see how things have recovered in the towns that were hardest hit, but you'll be heading to another oceanside location anyway at the Amalfi Coast. You could compare one seaside location with another if you also visited the C.T., but if you're looking for a day trip out of Florence, how about Siena? Buon viaggio!

Posted by
16893 posts

If you feel satisfied with what you've seen in the first two days in Florence, then Siena would be my first choice of side trip, both for proximity and plenty to see in one day.