Please sign in to post.

Italy Itinerary Help!!

Wife and I are making our first trip to Europe and we've decided on Italy. We'll be traveling May 15-27 and flying into and out of Rome. Here are my initial thoughts: Date Itinerary Accomodations 15-May Depart ATL Air 16-May Arrive Rome (sightseeing, Colliseum, Others) Rome 17-May Rome (Vatican, Parthenon, Others) Rome 18-May ALL Day Trip to Amalfi Coast (Pompeii / Positano) Rome 19-May Depart to Florence (some sightseeing) Florence 20-May Florence (Acadamia Gallerie, Uffizi, Others) Florence 21-May Day Trip to Tuscan Countryside (Chianti?) Florence / Tuscany 22-May Day Trip to Siena Florence 23-May Depart to Cinque Terre Cinque Terre 24-May Cinque Terre (sightseeing, beach) Cinque Terre 25-May Cinque Terre (hiking) Cinque Terre 26-May Depart to Rome Rome
27-May Depart to ATL Air Is this feasible? Are we spending too much or too little time in one place? Should we cut a day out of Cinque Terre to add more time somewhere else (i.e. Amalfi Coast)? We are both 30 years old and celebrating our 5 year anniversary. Any help or insight on places to stay, things to do, etc. would be greatly appreciated!

Posted by
32228 posts

Brian, Your proposed Itinerary seems reasonably well organized (IMO). However, I perceive a few potential "problem areas". For example: > 16 May - what time are you arriving in Rome? In my experience, you probably won't get much "sightseeing, Coliseum, Others" accomplished that day. You'll be jet-lagged and tired so "hitting the ground running" for a full day of touring straight away, is not something that's realistic. > 18 May - I'm not sure it's going to be possible even with an "all day" trip to fit in "Pompeii / Positano" in that time frame. While it may be theoretically possible, you really wouldn't have time to see much and it's going to be a LONG day. You could visit Pompeii and have a brief look around Sorrento though. You might consider booking a Guide for the tour of Pompeii, as it really makes the history so interesting (Gaetano Manfredi is an outstanding Guide, but you'll want to book SOON as he's very popular - if he's not available, there will probably be other Guides waiting next to the ticket booth, but I'm not sure if they're of the same calibre). > 21 May - How were you planning to do the "day trip" to Chianti? As this is your first trip to Europe, I would highly recommend eading Europe Through The Back Door, as that will provide you with a lot of good information on "how" to travel well in Europe. In reading your Itinerary for the first time, my initial impression was to drop the Pompeii, etc. portion and use the time in Rome. Plan to visit the Amalfi coast when you can spend more time and include Capri. Happy travels!

Posted by
8 posts

Hi Ken! Thanks for the feedback. We arrive in Rome at 8:30am the first day and were going to try to stay up to force ourselves to adjust to the time difference. As for the Pompeii / Positano trip, I was really hoping to at least get a glimpse of the Amalfi Coast, and we were considering a guided tour that picks up and drops off from Rome (run by a company called Viator). As for a day trip to the Tuscan Countryside, I am completely open to and in need of ideas. I'm under the assumption there are many vineyard-type countryside areas well within reach of Florence, so any input would be appreciated. As for that and Siena, should we consider spending a night in the countryside or in Siena, or just head back to Florence to spend the night? Should we cut a day from Cinque Terre to include an extra day elsewhere (i.e. Amalfi Coast / Capri)? Thanks again! -Brian

Posted by
32228 posts

Brian, Thanks for the additional information. In theory it's a good idea to try and stay awake the first day (as Rick suggests), but I've had varying degrees of success with that. Since this is your first trip, give it a try. Which part of Rome is your Hotel located in? The Viatour trip is expensive and a LONG day, but it's a reasonable option in this case as they'll provide transportation, which makes things much easier (early start but you can rest on the Bus). That will at least provide you with a brief look at the area, and also some ideas for your next trip. I'm assuming you're taking the one with the guided tour of Pompeii? Regarding the day trip in the Tuscan countryside, I'd suggest having a look at the Italy Guidebook as you may get some ideas from that. Spending a night in the country would likely require a rental car, which comes with some potential "issues". Spending at least one night in Siena would be better (IMHO), as it's a wonderful city, and would give you the opportunity to have a nice dinner and wander around in the evening to search out the best Gelato spot (something that won't be possible "in the country"). You could perhaps spend two nights in Siena and take a day trip there into the "Tuscan countryside"? For travel between Florence and Siena, Bus is a better option as it drops passengers in the centre of town rather than the bottom of the hill where the station is. Although it's a bit of a "zig-zag route", your plan to travel Florence - Siena - CT - Rome is quite reasonable. The trip from Siena to La Spezia (CT) is ~3-hours, with one change. I wouldn't drop one night from the CT. The travel time to get there isn't worth the effort for one night. Cheers!

Posted by
4105 posts

Brian,
Have to agree w/Ken cut the trip to the Amalfi. A thought on how to better use your time... on arrival in Rome, train to Florence. I know this puts alot of travel in one day, but you can decompress on the train. This way all of your time in Rome is in one segment. Much easier to book hotel or apartment.

Posted by
8 posts

Not a bad idea on traveling straight to Florence! Maybe we'll do one night in Siena and do a day trip to the countryside from there. As for Cinque Terre, Ken, we currently have 3 nights planned, so if I cut a day from CT, we'd still be there 2 nights. Having said that, would you keep that at 3 nights, or trim to two and take maybe a night in the Amalfi Coast? Thanks!

Posted by
6898 posts

We always get several hours sleep on the overnight flight to Europe. Thus, we are OK during our first day. Next, I think I see you staying in Rome, Florence and the CT. This part is OK for 12 nights with the first night on the plane. Next, you really don't think that you will be able to make the 1-day trip to Pompei and Positano from Rome. It takes 3.5hrs-4.0hrs each way to get to Positano. You will be on the Trenitalia train to Naples, the Circumvesuviana train from Naples to Sorrento and the SITA bus to Positano. You might be able to trim the time a bit on the hydrofoil out of Naples but still, you'll be traveling at least 7.0hrs. You won't see much of Pompei on this day trip either. It's much like you taking a day trip to from Decatur to Asheville and trying to see the Biltmore mansion and gardens. Next, your day trip to the Tuscan countryside might not be as robust as you may think. Many of the smaller areas don't have train stations and the buses are great but may not run frequently enough to get you everywhere you wish to see. Again, you need to factor in the travel time.

Posted by
36 posts

I think the day trip to Amalfi is a bit ambitious. Just getting to Naples is 2 hours from Rome. Allow 2 hours at Pompei and then you still have to get to the Amalfi Coast never mind Positano and back to Rome??? You might be better off concentrating on Florence and Tuscany and the Cinque Terre. They are at least near enough each other .We enjoyed the down time one day at the beach in Levanto and spent the next day hiking the towns of the Cinqua Terra. If you picked up a car in Florence you could drive the rest of the trip and be flexible.The town of Lucca was impressive and the drive to see the Carrera marble mines was outstanding. Be sure to see the lovely cemetary that is nearby as the sculptures are more imprssive then what I saw at the Uffizi. Be sure to book musuems ahead to stay on a schedule. Dump the car at some small town and train back to Rome. We like any of the Rick Steves suggestions for food and lodging but these last few years we are camping our way across Italy, Sicily, Croatia and this year Greece. And we r in our 50's! There is even a great camp ground outside Rome.

Posted by
8 posts

What about this itinerary?: Date Itinerary Accomodations 15-May Depart ATL Air 16-May Arrive Rome, train to Florence (some sightseeing) Florence 17-May Florence (Uffizi, sightseeing) Florence 18-May Florence (Galllerie Accademe, sightseeing) Florence 19-May Travel to Siena (day trip to Chianti and San Gimignano) Siena 20-May Siena (sightseeing) Siena 21-May Travel to Cinque Terre (relax) Cinque Terre 22-May Cinque Terre (hiking) Cinque Terre 23-May Cinque Terre (relax) Cinque Terre 24-May Travel to Rome (some sightseeing) Rome 25-May Rome (Vatican City, Pantheon, etc.) Rome 26-May Rome (Colliseum, sightseeing) Rome 27-May Depart to ATL Air Does this make sense, or should we only spend one night in Siena and then add an extra night in Rome: Date Itinerary Accomodations 15-May Depart ATL Air 16-May Arrive Rome, train to Florence (some sightseeing) Florence 17-May Florence (Uffizi, sightseeing) Florence 18-May Florence (Galllerie Accademe, sightseeing) Florence 19-May Travel to Siena (day trip to Chianti and San Gimignano) Siena 20-May Travel to Cinque Terre (relax) Cinque Terre 21-May Cinque Terre (hiking) Cinque Terre 22-May Cinque Terre (relax) Cinque Terre 23-May Travel to Rome (some sightseeing) Rome 24-May Rome (Vatican City, Pantheon, etc.) Rome 25-May Rome (Colliseum, sightseeing) Rome 26-May Rome (sightseeing)
27-May Depart to ATL Air Or should we be considering something else altogether? Thanks so much for the input! Very helpful! Brian

Posted by
1446 posts

Without a car and not much time, you may want to settle for excursions booked through Viator, out of Florence. You won't have to keep lugging suitcases either. At least one excursion, the May 18th one, is on sale right now, I noticed... Also, the excursions are not offered everyday. 15-May Depart ATL Air 16-May Arrive Rome, train to Florence (some sightseeing) 17-May Florence - Uffizi, Accademia, sightseeing 18-May Florence - full day Siena & San Gimignano (Viator) 19-May Florence - half day wine tasting in Chianti (Viator) 20-May Travel to Cinque Terre - relax 21-May Cinque Terre - hiking 22-May Cinque Terre - relax 23-May Travel to Rome (some sightseeing) 24-May Rome - Vatican City, Pantheon, etc. 25-May Rome - more sightseeing or daytrip by train (1hr) to Orvieto 26-May Rome - Colliseum, sightseeing, shopping, etc.
27-May Depart to ATL Air You can then have a good excuse to go back to Italy another time and spend 4-5 days in the Amalfi area (no car!) and decide if you want to return to Tuscany and spend a week (with a car) booting around the small towns and visiting areas that you skimped on time (Siena) or missed entirely (Lucca & Pisa, Assisi & Perugia), OR head to Venice & Verona... In my books, there's ALWAYS a good excuse to return to Italy ;-)

Posted by
4105 posts

Brian, Are you planning on renting a car? If you do, pick it up in Florence the day you leave. Best bet to avoid ztls is pick up at the airport. This would give you the oportunity to visit Greve in Chianti (19mi)and San Gimignano (27mi) before you end in Siena. Spend the next day exploring Siena. Next day drive to Voltera (35mi) on your way to
LaSpezia (103mi) gateway to the CT. This might optomize your time in Tuscany.

Posted by
8 posts

Was planning on taking trains for most of the trip. I've been told it's probably better to avoid renting a car, though we did in Costa Rica and didn't have any problems, so I can't imagine Italy would be any worse. As for the day trip to the Amalfi, we weren't looking at making it on our own, but through the Viator offering (stops in Pompeii and Positano). It's over $250 per person for the 13-hour day, but I thought it might give us a good opportunity to see the area. I'm beginning to think, however, that we're better off avoiding it this time around. Thoughts? Any good recommendations on places to stay in Cinque Terre? I think we are leaning towards Vernazza...

Posted by
3696 posts

Brian...I have driven in Costa Rica and all over Europe and its definitely easier in Europe! I almost always drive and while there are times I will get rid of the car (Paris, Rome and big cities) I love having the car and the freedom of going where I want. I love the Tuscan countryside and could not imagine seeing it all by train or bus. I am a pretty independent traveler who travels with few reservations. I have driven to CT a few times, but it is a pain, so now I sometimes will leave my car in LaSpezia and take the train or I have also gone in for the day from a hotel in Allesandria...but not spent the night. Amalfi coast drive is a bit challenging, but I have done it. Next time however I would take the train as parking was a nightmare. I love CT, but would not spend as much time there. I would spend more time exploring the wonderful villages and vineyards of Tuscany. Have a wonderful trip!

Posted by
4105 posts

Brian, Tuscany is wonderful by car. Soo many quaint villages, great photo ops. Icouldn't imagin not using a car. I took the liberty of checking out a 3 day rental on Kemwel, cost, $225. Figure another $100 for fuel & tolls. Good maps or a gps are a must if you want to go deep into Tuscany. Major hwys. are just as good if not better than here. I would go for it. You're on your own scheduel and really have the option of exploring. Vernazza gets my vote as the best place to stayin the CT If you are determined to do the Amalfi it can be done for much less money. Train Rome-Naples 1h45m about $62.00 rt Circumvesium Naples to Pompeii $4.00 "Pompeii-Sorrento $4.00 Hydrofoil Sorrento-Naples 40 min around $15.00
So for a total of around $85.00 p/p you can go if you have the time . Remember...planning IS half the fun. gerri

Posted by
4105 posts

...2 good sites for info on transportation and things to do along the Amalfi...
italylogue.com and summerinitaly.com

Posted by
8 posts

Does anyone have any feedback on Rosson Teresa in Vernazza, CT? It's becoming very difficult to find reservations. I am also waiting to hear back from La Marina Rooms, and have a room possible at Francamaria in Vernazza or Il Parco in Monterosso. Any feedback on any of these? Close to finalizing an itinerary - will share soon!