Please sign in to post.

Italy Itinerary help!

Trying to figure out best use of time for where we want to go and not sure if it's feasible to rent a car or just use the trains. Possible itinerary Rome (2), Naples/Amalfi (5) and CT/Genoa (6). Should we open-jaw arriving Rome departing Milan?

Posted by
23297 posts

Almost all of our trips are open jaw. Saves the expense of back tracking to the starting point.

Posted by
32214 posts

Gilda, Could you provide a bit more information? For example, is this your first trip to Italy? The time allotted for Rome seems a bit "short", as there's so much to see and do there. I'd definitely suggest using the trains rather than a rental car (especially the high speed ES / AV trains where possible). With a short two-week time frame, rental cars will be slower and less efficient, burning up more of your limited touring time. In the same situation, I would use open-jaw flights, but I'd start in Milan as the travel time to your first destination will be shorter. You could (for example) go directly to Genoa / CT from MXP, although it would be a LONG travel day after an international flight. Proceed from there directly to Naples / Amalfi coast. From La Spezia there's a direct train to Roma Termini with a travel time of about 3H:45M and from Rome to Naples is only an hour or two longer. Were you planning to use Sorrento as a "base" in that area? At the end of your trip, return to Rome for a few days there and then to FCO for the flight home. Going to Naples / Amalfi directly after the CT avoids the issue of having to get a Hotel in Rome for one night prior to your flight home. Good luck and happy travels!

Posted by
41 posts

Gilda, Your trip is doable my train or car. I'd say the choice depends on your travel style. I always drive and drove he route you mention.
I would fly open jaw. Have fun, Pat