Please sign in to post.

Italy Itinerary Help

Hi Travel Extroardinaires! I am planning my second trip to Italy (first was Rome only) with my husband and his parents, and would like advice/opinions on our itinerary. The trip will be November 11-20. I've copied my preliminary itinerary below, which can all be subject to change. My husband just said that he really wants to see Pompeii, so I know I need to readjust, just not sure where/when. Also do not know if this itinerary is too lofty as is anyways. We all loved Rome on our last trip and want to see more of Italy. I did leave out the Amalfi Coast area, but am open to including if that's a better option over Cinque Terre area. We don't care to explore Tuscany this time, as it'll be November, and my husband and I currently live near Napa and see wineries often (I know, not the same!). Nov. 10: Fly to Atlanta from San Francisco (to travel with parents together) Nov. 11: Fly to Venice Nov. 12: Arrive in Venice Nov. 13: Venice, Museum Day (Uffizi Gallery, etc) Nov. 14: Venice -> Florence, Travel Day (early afternoon departure via train, 2 hr. ride) (OR should we go to Cinque Terre first?) Nov. 15: Florence, Museum Day Nov. 16: Florence -> Cinque Terre, Travel Day (early afternoon departure via train, 2.5 hr. ride), check into (X) town Nov. 17: Cinque Terre, Hike/Train/etc. around a couple of the small towns Nov. 18: Cinque Terre -> Rome, Travel Day (late morning departure via train, 3.5-4.5 hr. ride) Nov. 19: Rome
Nov. 20: Rome -> Home Any opinions/advice/new itinerary ideas would be greatly appreciated! I got excellent advice from travelers on here for our Rome, Paris, London trip last year, and had an amazing time! Thanks! Colleen

Posted by
282 posts

Since you really only have 8 days, you are trying to do too much. Here's my suggestion: Nov. 12 - Venice - wander, explore and walk off jetlag Nov. 13 - Venice - museums (note, Uffizi is in Florence) Nov. 14 - Venice - Murano/Burano, more wandering Nov. 15 - travel to Florence - explore Florence Nov. 16 - Florence - museums Nov. 17 - travel to Rome or do a Tuscany day tour Nov. 18 - Rome Nov. 19 - day trip to Pompeii
Nov. 20 - fly home

Posted by
515 posts

Italy and the Bay Area (I live very close to Napa) famously have Mediterranean climates. November is each one's rainiest of their rainy seasons. So, weather will be a factor. In November, the temperatures in Naples (i.e, Pompeii) are nearly identical to Napa's, but Naples gets 65% more rain.
http://www.weather.com/weather/wxclimatology/compare/NAP:9?sfld1=Naples,%20Italy&sfld2=napa%20ca&clocid1=NAP:9&clocid2= the above web site can be used for Venice/Napa, or anywhere on your itinerary. Obviously, these are averages and, as you know, our Thanksgivings can be dry, sunny and warm. Pompeii in the rain is fine with me. Bring Gortex because Pompeii is huge and there is not much shelter. I've been to Venice in early Nov and in the late Nov. It was significantly cooler than home during the day (the Alps are visible from Venice). There were days of bone chilling, driving rain and days of sunny, shorts and t-shirts weather. For me, Venice is perfect for a foggy, drizzly day - far more interesting than London. Recent Board thread for rainy days in the CT: http://www.ricksteves.com/graffiti/helpline/index.cfm/rurl/topic/72843/cinque-terre-rain-out.html

Posted by
15597 posts

I think most of the CT closes up by late October or early November. Even if not, the likelihood of poor weather is enough to take that off your list. I agree that 3 days in Venice is a good idea, especially since you'll be tired and jetlagged on arrival. However, days are short in November, so I suggest you plan on taking an evening train to Florence on Day 3. You can have a picnic dinner on the train - don't forget to pick up a bottle of wine. Spend 2 nights in Florence. If you want 2 full days there, train to Rome on the evening of Day 5, if you want 1, then take an early morning train to Rome. Late morning/early afternoon departures just eat up your sightseeing time. From Rome, either see Pompeii as a day trip, or stay overnight nearby (maybe Sorrento). If you do that, just pack what you need for overnight and leave the rest of your luggage at your Rome hotel, to return to.

Posted by
1201 posts

Given that you only have a total of eight nights on the ground in Italy, I would suggest that you limit yourself to only two spots. You could split the the time evenly between Venice and Florence. I would skip the CT and also Pompeii.

Posted by
8 posts

Thank you all for your replies, you are all very helpful and appreciated! I've realized that 8 (more like 7) full days is not enough, so we're adding 2 more to the beginning of our trip. Also decided to leave Cinque Terre for another trip due to timing/weather, but still need to include Pompeii. So, I've used your replies and revised the itinerary. Now I have another problem, as my revised plan puts us in Florence when I believe museums are closed (Sunday and Monday). How would you all solve this and what do you think of the revised plan? Note we have not purchased plane tickets, so do not need to fly into Venice, just thought it would be a good start for jet lag, etc. Wed, Nov. 9: Atlanta>Venice Thurs, Nov. 10: Arrive in Venice (morning/early afternoon) Fri, Nov. 11: Venice Sat, Nov. 12: Venice>Florence (evening train) Sun, Nov. 13: Florence Mon, Nov. 14: Florence Tues, Nov. 15: Florence > Sorrento (bad idea?) Wed, Nov. 16: Sorrento (Pompeii, or next day) Thurs, Nov. 17: Sorrento Fri, Nov. 18: Sorrento>Rome Sat, Nov. 19: Rome Sun, Nov. 20: Rome>Home Thanks again for all your help!
~Colleen

Posted by
1976 posts

Since you've already been to Rome, why not fly into there to burn off jetlag? You have 10 full days on the ground, which doesn't seem to me like enough time to fit much of Sorrento into your itinerary and leave enough time to explore Venice. You'll spend one day traveling to Florence from Sorrento. Tentative itinerary: Thurs., Nov. 10 - arrive in Rome Friday - Rome Sat., Nov. 12 - Rome to Sorrento Sun., Nov. 13 - Sorrento/Pompei Mon., Nov. 14 - Sorrento to Florence Tues., Nov. 15 - Florence Wed., Nov. 16 - Florence Thurs., Nov. 17 - Florence to Venice Fri., Nov. 18 - Venice Sat., Nov. 19 - Venice
Sun., Nov. 20 - fly home

Posted by
8 posts

I guess I was thinking that flying into Venice would be less hectic than Rome, and flying out of Rome is only one layover back to San Francisco, Venice is two. I also have to work that next day (crazy, I know!). This is much harder than I thought it would be, especially keeping the possibly "cold" and rainy weather in mind!

Posted by
6 posts

I like your new plan. don't worry about Sunday and Monday in Florance, the Uffizi and the Academia should be open on Sunday. it maybe crowded a bit, and it just may close earlier on Sunday, but worth it. Duomo should also be open.
Just check before you get there for each location's opening hours. If for some reason you cannot find anything to do on Monday - which I sincerely doubt, you can consider a day trip to Siena or Tuscana. Just remember that there are so many things to do in that town by just walking around and taking it all in. It's beautiful.

Posted by
1201 posts

Starting in Venice would be my preference as well.

Posted by
211 posts

I like your new plan. Start in Venice. Add Sorrento/Positano and drop CT. We like Amalfi better than CT.

Posted by
524 posts

Check previous threads regarding travel in November in Sorrento. As I recall, some posters mentioned the weather is poor and the city mostly closes down.
Lovely in the spring, summer, and fall but not so nice otherwise. Bobbie

Posted by
15597 posts

Bobbie's right. That time of year is too iffy to plan on Amalfi. After you get back, go up to Mendocino or down to Big Sur for a weekend if you want seashore.

Posted by
8 posts

Thank you all for your replies. Regarding Sorrento, I'm not necessarily looking for nice seashore experience, just a good homebase to visit Pompeii and possibly a little of the coast if the weather happens to be sunny. If it's not, no big deal. I'm not too concerned about the rain, I find it's kind of fun exploring while in pouring rain! I've looked up a few hotels that are open through the year in Sorrento, so there's got to be some shops open as well... Now I'm just wondering if I have my nights allocated okay, or if I should add one more to Venice and one less to Sorrento, or one more to Rome and one less to Sorrento? Any advice? Thanks again!
~Colleen