Please sign in to post.

Italy Itinerary Help!

We are planning our honeymoon to Italy during the last week in May and the first week in June. Neither of us have been to Europe before, and we are feeling slightly overwhelmed by all of the things we want to do, so we are hoping for some suggestions.

We depart NY on 5/21 and arrive in Rome on 5/22 at 8am. On 5/23, we begin our 1 week sailboat cruise of the Southwestern coast of Italy. We return to Rome on 5/30. We are planning to fly back on 6/7, and we were wondering about this tentative itinerary.

5/30 return to Rome from cruise
5/31 Rome
6/1 Rome
6/2 Rome and evening train to Florence
6/3 Florence
6/4 Florence/possible day trip to Sienna
6/5 Florence and evening train to Venice
6/6 Venice
6/7 Fly out of Venice to NY

I know that this is a full schedule, but we are both young and active, and this will probably be our last trip to Italy for a very long time (we have a lot of catching up to do with the rest of the world). We have not yet purchased our tickets, although we will do so by this weekend at the latest. The itinerary itself is pretty flexible and we are open to cutting things out as necessary. The real question is whether we are safe to purchase our tickets out of Venice on 6/7, or whether we would be better off flying out of Milan, or Venice on a different day. Any suggestions anyone has would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Colleen and Adam

Posted by
1589 posts

Sounds good. Don't consider Milan unless its way cheaper then the Venice airport choice. Have a wonderful married life! Great way to kick start.

Posted by
255 posts

Doesn't look too bad. My only advice would be to try and schedule a flight as late as possible out of Venice. Unless you are planning on staying in Mestre, you might have some difficulty making a very early flight what with the vaporetto schedules.
A private water taxi to the airport would be very expensive.

Posted by
85 posts

Colleen,

I think your itinerary is fine if you don't try to do too much in each day. Know that you won't have time to see all of the sights in every city and pick the ones most important to you. Leisurely days will keep this from becoming a stressful trip.

Have fun and may this be the first of many fabulous trips to Europe.

Posted by
891 posts

With reference to the advice about staying in Mestre or flying out of Milan. The airport in Milan is not really In Milan but a ways outside of the city, so you'd still have the same question about staying in an airport hotel. If you're not heading back to Italy for quite a while go for Venice! Have a great trip and congratulations!

Posted by
3313 posts

I agree with these endorsements. I'd suggest researching hotels and making reservations as soon as possible. Tripadvisor.com is a great resource and folks here will be happy to give specific suggestions if you can be clear about your budget and interests.

You can get to most of Venice's morning flights using the public bus. They're timed to arrive for most departing flights and Venice isn't a very big airport.

Posted by
31 posts

Colleen, Coincidently, I will be taking my first trip to Italy over the same 2 weeks! We arrive in Venice late Saturday afternoon and are spending 4 nights there. We are taking the train to Florence for 4 nights there. From Florence, we are stopping by Naples for a day visit on our way to Positano where we are spending 4 nights. The last 4 nights are being spent in Rome where we depart from.

I am trying to allow enough time in between cities for travel and any unforseen complications that might arise. I also want to have some "down time".

I would suggest booking your hotels ASAP as some of the places I contacted are already booked.

Have a great trip!!