Please sign in to post.

Italy Itinerary

Hello- any help in finalizing my itinerary for a trip in October would be awesome!

Current flight on we are looking at is Lufthansa.. it was departure from San Diego with a layover in Munich en route to Venice (5:15pm arriving in Venice at 4:20pm) which will be our first stop. Our return flight will be out of Rome (8:00am- 3:35pm). This flight we are tracking, only operates on Tuesdays and Thursdays. We are looking at Sept 28-Oct 17/19 or Oct 5-24/26... we can extend those extra 2 days if needed.. but kind of on the fence with it so hoping a few of you lovely people can steer us in right direction.

A little back story- we originally had a trip booked to Italy in April 2020... which was obviously canceled. So this will be our first trip to Italy! Happy to be back in the saddle... a more expensive saddle, but a saddle nonetheless.

Sticking with the 20 day trip:
Day 1- Leave San Diego
Day 2- Arrive in Venice (4:20pm)
Day 3- Venice
Day 4- Venice
Day 5- Travel to Florence
Day 6- Florence
Day 7- Florence
Day 8- Florence
Day 9- Florence
Day 10- Florence
Day 11- Travel to Cinque Terre (stop and see leaning tower in Pisa en route)
Day 12- CT
Day 13- CT
Day 14- Travel to Rome
Day 15- Rome
Day 16- Rome
Day 17- Rome
Day 18- Rome
Day 19- ??
Day 20- Travel home

We have kind of an extra day with this itinerary and originally we thought we would spend it in Venice and perhaps do a day trip to Verona, I have family roots there. Another consideration was another day in Florence, there are a lot of day trips we could easily take from Florence such as Bologna, Siena, Lucca, not to mention we are want to do a tour or two of the Tuscany country side. I think it could be easy to fill our time there which is why I have 5 days allotted to it. Cinque Terre was also another option for another day but I feel like 2.5 days will be enough there.

Extending to the 22 day mark itinerary:
Day 1- Travel
Day 2- Arrive in Venice (4:20pm)
Day 3- Venice
Day 4- Venice
Day 5- Travel to Florence
Day 6- Florence
Day 7- Florence
Day 8- Florence
Day 9- Florence
Day 10- Florence to Siena
Day 11- Siena
Day 12- Siena
Day 13- Travel to Cinque Terre (stop and see leaning tower in Pisa en route)
Day 14- CT
Day 15- CT
Day 16- Travel to Rome
Day 17- Rome
Day 18- Rome
Day 19- Rome
Day 20- Rome
Day 21- ?
Day 22- Travel home

I've read really amazing things about Siena, I know everyone says its totally possible to do a day trip from Florence, and maybe thats all thats worth it, also, if not Siena, what would be another area we could stay for 2-3 nights on the extended (22 day) itinerary. We also considered Bologna. We are foodies and we read they have great food there.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Happy travels! :)

Posted by
676 posts

Unless you deal well with jetlag and you sleep well on planes I would consider an extra day in Venice. By the time you get there and check-in it'll be close to 7, unless you get there early and your hotel is on the mainland. I would be exhausted for the whole time I was there. There's a lot to do there and imo the best part is just walking around, but it's not always easy walking.

If it works transportation wise I would look at Venice, CT, Florence, Siena, Rome. That way you won't be backtracking. CT to Rome would be a long travel day. Eh, just looked, train from CT to Rome is only around 5 hours so not that long.

I would go with the longer itinerary no matter what you decide though, you're already there, you've already paid for the flight so what's an extra couple nights?

Posted by
8150 posts

I would suggest you take away days 7,8,9 from Florence and head for the Tuscan countryside. That would mean staying in an agriturismo with a rental car and touring around to the different hilltowns. That would include Siena.

Pisa is a very popular flight destination, but most skip going into the city as it's just The Tower and a beautiful Duomo there.

I'd be hesitant to hit the C-T in October ;as it's more of a summer place. It might be a good time to hit Lake Como and the Swiss border towns, however. They're less than an hour north of Milan.

And never cut your time in Rome short as it's such an important travel city. You're just so fortunate to have so much time that you can choose from many alternative stops.

Posted by
7307 posts

Congratulations on your upcoming trip! 2020…. : (

First, yes to adding the two extra days.

A possible route for your 20 vacation days in Italy, not counting flying
Venice (Venezia) - 4 nights
(Do a day trip out to Burano - others, if interested)
1 hr train to Verona - 2 nights, lovely city!
4.5 hrs trains to Cinque Terre (Monterosso) - 2 nights
2.5 hrs trains to Florence (Firenze) - 4 nights
1 hr bus to Siena - the bus will leave you off in a convenient location. - 3 nights
(Schedule some wine tours that take you to Montepulciano, etc.)
Bus and/or train combo to Rome (Roma) - 5 nights
(Day trip to Orvieto - 1.5 hrs by train from Rome)

I’ve placed the Italian name of the cities in parenthesis, so you can look up travel times & options on www.trenitalia.com or their app

I’ll attach my last trip report that had some fun activities in Florence. I especially recommend the pasta cooking class!
https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/trip-reports/mother-adult-daughter-italy-trip-aug-sept-2022

Posted by
2962 posts

Venice: On arrival day settle in at your hotel, freshen up then treat yourself to a nice meal to end the day and the next day hit the ground running. I would spend the first day in Venice seeing the sights. That evening at twilight, hop on a vaporetto (water bus) from the train station or San Marco Square or even further so you can see the palaces that line the Grand Canal fully illuminated and not the erosion on the exterior. The experience took me back in time. I’ve done it twice and will do it again if I return. The following day get, lost. I feel three nights in Venice is enough.
Florence: Take a direct train from the Venice train station to Florence’s (Firenze) S.M. Novella station: https://www.trenitalia.com/en.html. Also, buy tickets for the Uffizi Gallery two-months out to guarantee a reservation. You need three nights in Florence by itself. If you add day trips add a night per day trip. Since you would like to visit Siena, Verona and Bologna sleep in Florence six nights.
Siena: I don’t recommend sleeping in Siena unless you rent a car so you can explore the Tuscan countryside. I do prefer Siena at night more so than as a day trip, but it will be easier as a day trip when it comes to logistics since you are visiting the Cinque Terre. Do go to Siena but as a day trip from Florence by direct bus that will drop you off outside the old town (1h 15m).
Pisa: I like this plan and you can store your bags at the Pisa train station so you can see the tower and the Field of Miracles. This is a good stop since you must switch trains to get to the Cinque Terre. The direct train from Florence’s S.M. Novella station to Pisa takes 1h.
Cinque Terre: Monterosso al Mare will be the easiest place to stay because it involves no transfers if coming from Pisa (1h 15m). If you don’t hike you only need two nights here. If you do hike add a night per hike. Note: the hikes here are not easy.
Rome: you will have to connect from Monterosso to get to Rome’s (Roma) Termini station (4h 30m). Be prepared to carry your luggage up and down stairs so pack light and do laundry often. From Roma Termini you can take a train to Rome’s Fiumicino Aeroporto (45m).

Posted by
312 posts

I like your 22 day plan. You could add the extra day to Venice to see Verona. It's a wonderful city and you have roots there. I would leave the rest of your itinerary as is. It's a nice slow pace with time to stop and smell the roses. Many day trips you can take from your extra days in Florence. Pisa, Lucca or Bologna. From Rome you can always take a day trip to Orvieto if you find yourselves with an extra day there.

Posted by
6 posts

Thank you everyone for your input and response. We appreciate it so much! We are going for the 22 days! I think the last thing we are really on the fence about is the order of travel… original thought has been Venice>Florence>Siena>Cinque>Rome we are flexible with all the middle plans except Venice and Rome as that’s where flights will arrive/depart. Someone mentioned that we do Cinque after Florence then down to Siena and onto Rome… would that make more sense as far as travel times to places are concerned? I know the travel from CT to Rome is far.

Posted by
10227 posts

If you are interested in Verona I think you might consider spending 2 nights there because there is so much to see. I’ve stayed there twice, for 2 nights and for 4 nights. My favorite place I’ve stayed in all my travels is an agriturismo just outside Siena and you could have that experience without a car. Friends stayed there upon my recommendation and they walked into town. You could also easily take a taxi. If you really want to explore the smaller towns in Tuscany a car is the best way to do it. The agriturismo serves dinner (optional) and it’s the best food I’ve had in the 6 weeks I’ve spent in Italy over 2 trips. I would eat there every night. If you’re interested just PM me for more information.

We did the opposite itinerary, starting in Rome, then Siena (agriturismo), Florence, one night Lucca, then stopped in Pisa on our way to the CT. We stayed in Vernazza and we didn’t have to go to Monterosso first on the train, so no backtracking. From Vernazza we went to Lake Como, Venice then Verona since we were going to Germany from there. You might want to play around with train schedules to see if you should go to Florence and Siena before the CT or if it would be better to go to the CT before those places.

Posted by
763 posts

You've got a lot of good suggestions above. I just wanted to congratulate you for resisting the all-too-common approach of "I've got 20 days and I want to see 19 places" travel planning. You'll enjoy your trip much more staying longer in each city, doing day trips as you like. That said, I'd encourage you not to shortchange Venice, Florence and Rome with too many day trips. They are gems on their own and deserve as much time as you can give them.

Posted by
2962 posts

A direct train from Venice to Verona’s Porta Nuova station takes 1h 30m. The train from Florence’s S.M. Novella station takes 1h 45m. I agree with Joyce about going to Verona from Venice.
The problem with the Cinque Terre is it’s an outlier. You can take a train from Monterosso to Siena that will require multiple transfers but it can be done in 3h 15m. There are direct buses from Siena to Rome (2h 45m) but no direct trains.