Please sign in to post.

italy itinerary

The basics of our 18-day italy/france vacation in late June/early July are pounded out & now we need to decide how to "tour" several cities. We fly into Rome Wed June 29th 8:30 am and leave on a cruise from there. How to do/see some of Rome in one day? - on our own? or tour suggestions? The ship stops at Livorno (7am-midnight) and we will head for a day in Florence (Tues July 5th) Again, should we attempt to arrange rail transportation to/from and around Firenze on our own in such a limited time frame? I know we can make reservations in advance for the Accademia and Uffizi, but with July crowds (July 5th), will we benefit from a tour? The ship will have an excursion as well. Any thoughts?

Posted by
247 posts

Doris, Is the ship leaving the day you arrive in Rome? Sounds like it's to late to fly in a few days early. Were you planning to get to the port on your own? With such a short time in Rome, you might consider the pre and post cruise excursions that the cruiseline offers. I would check directly with them. As far as ports, we have always done our own tours. Infact we've seen more and saved $$ not booking ship excurisions.

Posted by
82 posts

Thanks for the confirmation regarding the ship excursions. We actually get in to Rome 8:30 am and are traveling to Orvieto for three nights. I thought we would see as much of Rome as we can when we fly in and arrive in Orvieto @6-7 pm the first night. When we come back to Rome for the cruise, we will probably have to board around 3:00, so that won't give us any more time (unless we split up the touring of Rome). My post was lengthy enough, so I didn't give all the details. Any thoughts are welcome.

Posted by
3696 posts

Rome in one day... probably the bus tour that is 'hop on-hop off' If I have time I do the whole ride first, then on the second go around decide where to hop off, unless you are sure what you want to see. That way you can see where the crowds are the worst. I was there one time in July and it was really hot, so keep that in mind. As far as Florence, again hot and crowded, I liked just roaming around on my own so I could see the sights at my leisure. However, I do not travel with a 'checklist' of things I need to see... if I miss something it just gives me an excuse to go back, but I always find some little treasure that no one else has found. It is the unexpected surprises that really make the trip for me, so a loose agenda is how I like to travel.

Posted by
11335 posts

We had a fabulous 4 hour tour covering the Colosseum, Forum and Palatine Hill with Francesca Caruso. We ended at the Vittorio Emmanuel Monument and took the "Rome from the Sky" elevator for an incredible view. If all you did was that in your one day, it would be a success. Francesca will give you the private tour of a lifetime and you will have a good grounding in why Rome is Rome: History, Culture, Religion. Contact her at FrancescainRoma@gmail.com. Agree on a time and place to meet (maybe Noon since you have to get into Rome from FCO), and by 5:00 you are on your way to Orvieto. (Good choice for 3 nights. Great little town!) On your cruise day, catch the train from Orvieto at 7:30 and you will be at Termini before 8:30. You can perhaps take a nice walk from Campo dei Fiori through Piazza Navona to the Trevi Fountain and Pantheon, have lunch, and head to the port.

Posted by
82 posts

Excellent suggestions Terry kathryn & Laurel. I don't want a jam-packed agenda, but to experience a bit of the city , rather than just "pass through" the airport. I will certainly contact Francesca & consider the other options. Thanks for your experienced replies.

Posted by
247 posts

If you haven't booked rooms in Orvieto, check "Casa Selita B&B". We're staying there 3 nights. I wanted the experience of an Agriturismo without the need for a car. The ratings are 100% and very reasonable.

Posted by
82 posts

Ditto Jo! We've got 3 nights reserved at Casa Selita ... for the very same reasons. It's the start of our vacation & I think it will be a highlight. Thanks for reinforcing our decision,