Please sign in to post.

italy itinerary

We will be traveling to Italy late april into early may. this is what we are currently planning: rome 3.5 days; venice 1.5 days; florence 2.5 days; cinque terre 2 days; tuscany/sienna 3 days; Then MAYBE go to lake como for 1.5 days; return to Milan and fly home. thoughts? suggestions? Having 2nd thoughts about including Lake Como jaunt due to chewing up so much time getting there by train - unless I keep Tuscany car and drive. chip
wauconda, il

Posted by
8672 posts

Personally I add a day to Venice and do a day trip from Milan (30 minute train ride to Varenna, Lake Como, where you can take a ferry to Bellagio, 15 minute ride).

Posted by
15 posts

My overall trip dates are fixed: Leave US April 22, return from Milan May 10. So much as I'd like to have another day somewhere like Venice, I can't....

Posted by
32757 posts

I wonder if you have been to all these places and are just revisiting for old times' sake? If its your first time I worry you are moving too quickly. What are these half days you have? Is the half day including relocation time of a half day for checking out, checking in, and all the palaver involved? One day in Venice makes we wonder why?

Posted by
15 posts

Nigel - yes the half days are due to traveling place to place. Other than Cinque Terre, I visited most of these places in 1998 - but that was quite a while ago. One of the reasons for possibly dropping Lake Como was to extend a bit more in other places and eliminate some training about.

Posted by
8142 posts

Itinerary questions are on this forum virtually every day, and just almost every person is trying to visit too many places. Italy is a culture shock, and has so much food, wine, art, sculpture and history to see. That's why it's best to take things a little slower, or your trip will be a blur. (I speak from experience.) I suggest Venice for 3 nights, Florence for 3 nights, Tuscan hill country for 3 nights and Rome for the rest of the time. From the hill country, you can take day trips to Siena, Voltera, San Gimgnano and Chianti wineries by car rental. You'll go home fat and sassy, but not driven out. Alternative itinerary would be Venice for 3 nights, Florence for 3 nights, Tuscan hill country for 3 nights, Cinque Terre for 3 nights and the balance of time around Lake Como. Your travel time would be relatively efficientnot back tracking. With gasoline @ $8.55 per gallon, travel between towns by rail is best. If you rented a car around Lake Como, you'd see incredible scenery there and around Lugano, Switzerland. Have a great trip!

Posted by
84 posts

I second David's post. We have been to Italy many times and his itinerary is one I would make myself.