Please sign in to post.

Italy in November

I am thinking of a trip in October and November to Italy. I know the larger cities will probably be alright. Will the smaller towns in Tuscany and Umbria be a problem? Also what about Sorrento, Naples and Amalfi? I have always been to Italy in May, June or July. Thanks in advance

Posted by
1317 posts

We went in November 2008 to Rome, Orvieto, and Florence with a day trip to Lucca. Other than shorter hours (which happens in the big cities too), no problems. It was quite nice and peaceful when we were there, and at least in Orvieto the shopkeepers seemed really interested and happy in talking to us.

Posted by
1829 posts

We go on one of our trips to Italy each year in October, usually Sorrento, and are due there in a couple of days time. Over the years we have noticed that the season has got longer and expect the most things in Sorrento to be open. We find it pleasantly busy and easier to get around on public transport.

The significant thing missing will be the seasonal coastal ferry services. Also from time to time choppy seas will affect the year round ferry services. Naples being a major regional capital operates all year round. All the major tourist sites are open albeit with shorter opening hours.

Up until 2 years ago we always had good weather, sunny warm days and cool nights. Last year was significantly cooler and wetter during the day and cold at night. The forecast looks much the same this year but fingers crossed!

Autumn in Umbria is lovely but be aware that at higher altitudes you are at greater risk of early morning fogs which can linger all day because the sun is not strong enough to burn it off.

Posted by
73 posts

Thank you for helping me out. Now I can plan the trip around all the problems you have stated.