Please sign in to post.

Italy in November

I'll be travelling in Italy the first 3 weeks of November this year. I'm hoping the weather will be mild and not too rainy. My plan is to procede from Nice to CT, then to Lucca and Florence, and on south to Sorrento all by train. I will fly home from Rome Nov. 22, so plan to spend a few days in Rome. If you have had experience with Italy in Nov. and have any tips, please let me know. I'm considering visiting some hilltowns, but don't know if it will be too cold in Nov. I've travelled in Italy before and am familiar with these places. I just want some season-specific info. Thanks.

Posted by
293 posts

I was there in November 3 yrs ago it was cool but not freezing.We were in Lucca for 2 days and it did rain ( no pour like here in Florida) but we managed.We drove from Bolonia to Florence and the Fall colors were blazing the hills and mountains.It was gorgious. I am a cool weather person ( live in FL go figure!!) All I can say is that I loved it . We were in Florence, Lucca and Parma.Then out of Milan. ( oh and I was there with a broken ankle in a full cast.) can still smell the freshness of the fields!! Pat

Posted by
375 posts

We traveled in Italy in late November one year. Italian food for Thanksgiving was kind of interesting. I'm sure that as a seasoned traveler you know to bring clothing that you can layer. I wore a lightweight water resistant jacket over a sweater and was very comfortable. I didn't need anything terribly heavy, but I did wear woolblend socks and leather walking shoes. For me, if my feet are warm and comfortable, the rest of me can deal with a lot. I thought November was a very pleasant time to go, but who knows what kind of weather you will get?

Posted by
132 posts

We were in Rome and Florence the 2nd and third week of November 09. Florence was down about 32f early morning (light frost) up to the 60's during the day. The locals were talking about how cold it was, and dressed in heavy coats. I had a heavier sports coat and sweater, and was ok other than a little chilly early in the morning. (I'm a gulf coast boy. I wear shorts to go christmas shopping.) Rome was a little warmer. Other than cloudy a few days, and a little drizzle no weather problems. The fall leaves in Tuscany, the Pitti Boboli Garden, and the Borghese Garden were nice. Though we had a lot of reservations; you really didn't need reservations for attractions/museums. (Borghese Museum was the exception.) Even the colossium wait without reservations was only about a half hour. A sunday morning with a lot of europeans in line. (If you get reservations to play safe, but get there early, ask if you can get in. They usually let us in.) Took a cooking class one evening in Florence. A highlight of the trip. Took a day tour to Siena and San Gimignano. Both very nice. Love San G. We found it a great time to see Italy.