Please sign in to post.

Italy in November

We have 5 days at the end of time in Rome in November to travel and are looking for suggestions. The Amalfi Coast seems to be almost closed down and Venice may have flooded piazzas Any recent experience for us? Our first time to visit Italy later than May. Mahalo, Maui Travelers

Posted by
7737 posts

Don't avoid Venice just because there's a sliight chance of flooding. Even when it happens, it's rarely a big deal.

Posted by
515 posts

I've been to Venice once in early Nov and again on Thanksgiving. I loved it. The weather will be nothing like yours. But that's a good thing. I found no lines for anything. Yes there were fellow tourist but nothing like the hordes (so I've heard) in the high seasons. The weather that I got varied between sunny days in the 60s to howling cold rain, to thick fog and to all of the above in the same day. Venice is one of the best cities that I've visited for rain: the canals, narrow streets and water buses are mysterious in dark foggy weather. And if you like seafood you will like Venice. The floods last only a few hours and effect just a small area and you never will have to walk in water. Just bring some gortex and fleece and you'll be fine.

Posted by
15602 posts

Lots to see indoors in Florence, churches, museums, some of the best of Michelangelo. Verona has enough to keep most people busy for 2 days. Flooding in Venice equals photo op!

Posted by
3580 posts

I was in Rome for a week beginning the middle of November last year. It rained every day; not all day but usually late afternoon or evening. Take a lightweight raincoat and maybe an umbrella. When rain starts, the umbrella-sellers pop up, so you can buy one then.

Posted by
6 posts

Thank you all for the encouragement. We have time wouldmyou recommend Verona on the way to Venice?

Posted by
7737 posts

Be really careful about trying to load up your trip with too many destinations. Pick a few and enjoy them, rather than overloading with different destinations. Do you have the RS Italy book? It's really excellent, especially for first time travelers to italy.

Posted by
6 posts

I should have been more specific. We have most of November in Italy and have been several times in the past, traveling mostly in May or early June and read RS books then. we have been to Venice, we haven't been to Verona and an Italian friend here on Maui is encouraging us to go to Verona for a day. We are thinking to go for several days on our way from Rome to Venice via train, or on our way back and hoping that one of you has done that route. Also would love a good recommendation for a small hotel in Verona. Mahalo

Posted by
293 posts

I loved Italy in November ( 4yrs ago) the colors were out of this worls and the weather was cool and perfect.
Pat

Posted by
515 posts

What I did, and it worked out for me, was to get to Venice, get oriented and then worry about day trips after things settled down. There are several day trips by boat from Venice as well as day trips by train to Verona, Padua all of which are well worth it. I reasearched all of them and then played it by ear once I settled in. In Nov I did not need reservation for any train from Venice for a day trip: I just showed up. For this Board you will get more focused results if you post separate Qs like Verona in November? or Day Trips from Venice in November? Etc . The weather info in the question will focus the answers. You may love or hate Venice but you have never seen anything like it. You will spend more time on the water in Venice than (maybe) you spend in a week in Maui. RS put on Hulu and YouTube several pieces about Venice and surroundings so you can view them free and the drill down into his book for the detais. And bring a good map and a pen light, some of the little streets a dimly lighted

Posted by
951 posts

I had to walk on some planks getting off the water bus maybe 2 times when I was there in December for a 3 night stay. It did not take anything away from my trip. I would never want to be in Venice when crowds are there so I will gladly exchange mobs of people for a few flooded piazzas. Plus it is temporary, not lasting all day, well for my experience anyways.

Posted by
85 posts

The Amalfi Coast in November was absolutely wonderful. The weather was nice, cool enough in the evening for a light jacket, no crowds, and the prices were low. We ended up at a gorgeous 4 star hotel (Bristol Sorrento) because other hotels were closed, and the rates were extremely low. (We would never have been able to afford the place otherwise.) There were plenty of trains, busses, and ferries, and plenty of great places to eat. There were no lines in Florence (I just went again this May, and I swear I'll go in November next time!) and minimal lines in Rome.

Posted by
1825 posts

I would keep my plans open and decide last minute based on the weather. It should be easier to find a hotel that time of year so I'd me more comfortable just winging it. Warm and clear head for Amalfi. Cold and raining might be better for Florence. Have a few options and decide while you are there.

Posted by
15602 posts

I always recommend Verona. My first visit was a day trip between Milan and Venice (left my luggage at the train station). The second time, I stayed overnight - in February - and wished I had stayed longer. There is much to see in Verona (google Verona Card) and it is especially lovely in the evenings. All the locals seemed to be out and about.