Please sign in to post.

Italy in mid March 2009

Does anyone know what the weather can be like mid March, early April in Italy? Will it be crowded in places like Rome, Florence and Venice? Is it worth going and staying at the Cinque Terre and Lake Como region at that time? Any suggestions will be helpful. Thanks!

Posted by
62 posts

I have been at Lake Como end of March and weather was sunny 2 days and raining one day but it is a good time to visit villas they have displays of spring flowers Villa Carlotta especially. I have only been to Venice in September. Rome and Florence were both sunny in middle of March. I don't know if this is normal for Florence. It was less crowded than September but there were still lines to get into popular places. We didn't have problems with restaurants. If you are going to be in Rome for several days I would recommend renting an Apartment instead of hotel room. I have done both and I enjoyed Rome more with exrta space in the apartment.

Posted by
6 posts

Thanks, Sandy for your suggestions and advice. Was it easy to find accomodations in Lake Como or nearby areas during the spring? Any place you suggest to stay?

Posted by
534 posts

I traveled Italy from March 10th-25th a few years back. The weather was mild and nice. Warmer in the days (70's), cooler at nights (mid 50's). No rain that I recall - but it is probably not unlikley. We travled Rome, Vernazza, Florence, Siena and Venice. I would say the crowds were low. The only line I recall was for the Ufuzzi and it was a 4 hour wait. We didn't have reservations - so we skipped it. Other than that - we had no issues with crowds or weather. Cinque Terre had beautiful hikes and great weather. We sunned ourselves on the harbor with a bottle of wine in Vernazza (a favorite and very relaxing memory). Too cold for beach and swimsuits though.

Posted by
32318 posts

Shelly,

I haven't been to that area in March (yet), but from what I've heard from others it's not usually too inclement (of course no guarantees).

I like to "home base" in the small town of Varenna, as it's a wonderful small town and very convenient to get to other places on the lake (such as Bellagio).

For suggestions on lodgings, check Rick's book or other posts here on the Helpline (there have been quite a few suggestions). I stayed at Albergo Olivedo and would certainly recommend it.

Happy travels!

Posted by
62 posts

I have only stayed in Varenna - Albergo Milano and Villa Cipressi twice. If you are traveling by train Varenna is easier. I have never stayed at this hotel in Bellagio but in March they still have off season rates Metropole Bellagio.