Please sign in to post.

Italy in May 2022??

In early May 2022 a friend and I are going to St. Andrews, Scotland on a 10 day golf trip..... hopefully. We had to cancel it in May 2020 and again in May 2021, but they carried our tee times over to next year and our trip is planned and booked. We're hoping COVID19 and its variants are gone by then.

My wife retired in January 2020 and her retirement present was two weeks in Italy.....Milan, Venice, Florence and Rome..... but we were not able to do that. I'm thinking about having her meet me in Milan after the golf outing to do her trip, and the current travel restrictions they have seem workable. Has anyone either planned a trip or gone to Italy this year, and if so, what are your thoughts about travel, the conditions next May, and if adding two weeks to my trip makes sense. We are seniors who have traveled independently to Europe four times using Rick's tools, one of which was to Italy for a short stay. I would appreciate any thoughts, suggestions and even criticisms you may have. Thank you.

Jim

Posted by
1046 posts

It isn't too early to dream but it is way too early to book anything. Keep planning, that can be lots of fun, but keep open to changes - minor and major. We're all hoping things will open soon. I too am planning/dreaming of May 2022. May our dreams come true!

Posted by
2184 posts

I’m booking for next May in Italy but only with refundable rates. My biggest thought about combining Italy with your golf trip would just be what you plan to do with your clubs?

Posted by
6041 posts

I’m booking for late April into May
All refundable
Just watching flights for now

Never too early to plan

Posted by
330 posts

Jim, we also have a flight booked for April 27- May 13. It's not too early to book if the price is right. Found a flight on United for $490...I just couldn't let it go. At this point I only have the flight insured since my lodging can be canceled. I would recommend agent Gail ex. 221 "insure my trip" 1-800 4874722. Gail was very helpful explaining different plans and I was able to just insure my flight so far of course other expenses can be added later.

Posted by
5 posts

We are booked for Italy in October, a cruise in January, Mexico in April, and Amsterdam in May. I would have no problem booking that far ahead. In fact, you may get a really good deal right about now.

With that said, be sure you are only booking things that are refundable. I'd also suggest finding a travel insurance policy that has (at a minimum) medical coverage for Covid. My family uses an annual plan from Allianz, but here is a good list individual trip policies that have Covid coverages: https://clubthrifty.com/travel-insurance-covid/

Some of those policies may not be available for seniors, so you might have to shop around some. Enjoy your trip!

Posted by
336 posts

i went for 5 weeks in june and july. I followed the news very closely (including italian) and as soon as travel restrictions were relaxed (no quarantine required) and delta started offering 'covid-tested' flights, i booked. the funny thing was the rules kept changing often and by the day of my flight, even the pcr test requirement was relaxed to a rapid test. had to fill out the eu-dplf but that was it. the trip itself was amazing, spent 28 days in sicily and found the island open and with noticeably fewer tourists. i was/am fully vaccinated and wore a mask everywhere and used airbnb and public transportation exclusively. no issues with restrictions whatsoever.

point is, i took an informed/calculated risk and glad that i did. seriously thinking of going again next summer and will follow the trends closely as i did this year. however, i am not going to start planning until at least the new year.

Posted by
553 posts

Thank you all for the great advice. Some things I haven't thought of. We got burned on the first cancellation of the Scotland trip, primarily lodging no refund policy. One of you asked about golf clubs, No way I would lug them throughout Italy. There is a company called Shipsticks, with the "sticks" references to golf clubs. For a fee, in this case $214, if we add the Italy dates they will pick up my clubs at our hotel in St. Andrews and deliver them to my home a couple of weeks later. I have also thought about renting clubs for the week in St. Andrews which is $180, but for any of you non-golfers out there you should know that if you're traveling 5,000 miles to play elite golf courses you probably would prefer your own clubs.

Posted by
39 posts

YouTube this -----> Gubbio candle festival... look for an aerial / drone video ...... it's always May 15th ... during WW2 the women had to carry on this tradition .... we spent 2 nights years ago ...but should have spent 3 ... unbelieveable experience .. might go back ... a bucketlist for all to

Posted by
9 posts

I am in agreement, it is not too early to book your travel as long as you can cancel and obtain a refund. We are planning a trip to Southern Italy in April and ensuring everything is refundable. My SIL and I stayed in a lovely hotel in Florence and it was not a bad walk to the Duomo and other sights, Hotel Loggiato dei Serviti.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187895-d191164-Reviews-Hotel_Loggiato_dei_Serviti-Florence_Tuscany.html

Service was great and on our last day there we woke up to a lovely market in the square. I highly recommend checking out Orvieto or Siena if you have the time. I found them to be sweet quite and lovely towns, Siena being my most favorite.
Happy Travels!

Posted by
34 posts

Just arrived back on Wednesday from 3 weeks in Italy. I felt safer there than being in the US. We were in Venice, the Dolomites and Piemonte area of Italy. Essentially everyone was masked when going into shops. I had to show my vaccination card when I attended a concert and visited museums. We primarily ate outside, but I witnessed the majority of restaurants checking for vaccination status prior to letting people in. From my perspective, they are taking COVID more seriously to avoid further lockdowns.