Please sign in to post.

Italy in March.

We are planing a 3 week trip to Italy in March, is it necessary to purchase museum and sightseeing tickets in advance for this time of year for the larger city's like Florence and Rome?

Posted by
27197 posts

There are some sights/experiences that are so in demand that--if you consider them essential--you should get the tickets in advance. These are the ones I remember being mentioned for Rome (not saying they are musts, just that you may miss out on them if you don't buy tickets in advance):

• Borghese Gallery (advance, timed-tickets always required)
  • Colosseum Underground Tour (this special-access tour sells out early)
  • Vatican Scavi Tour (ditto)
  • Vatican Museums are reportedly mobbed these days, and most recent visitors say it's critical to sign up for a tour that gives you early access before the museums open to the general public. Walks of Italy and Dark Rome offer such tours; there may be other options as well.
  • Domus Aurea (reportedly open only on weekends and sells out)

There can be long lines for regular entry at the Colosseum, but I don't know what the situation will be like in March.

It was recently reported that the Pantheon will soon start charging admission. That site was extremely crowded when I visited it in March 2015, but I don't know what will happen when there's an admission charge, nor do I know when that policy will be implemented.

Posted by
2 posts

Thank you so much, this helps a lot. What online sites would you recommend to purchase tickets?

Posted by
11613 posts

The official sites are the first choice, but I sometimes use a broker if no tickets are available and I don't have much margin to work with.

Note that some sights provide a guided tour with the ticket price (Domus Aurea, for example).