Please sign in to post.

Italy in March

I am traveling with my husband and my 8 and 12 year old boys towards the end of March. We begin in Rome for 5 days and then move onto the ever popular Agrit. Cretaiole for 5 days. I was wondering what people thought would be the next best move. We have 5 nights to play with and then back to Rome for a couple of nights before we leave. I thought we could try to book a place near Naples at that Italy Farm Stay place and then visit Naples and Pompeii, or go towards Arezzo and look for a castle to stay in or another Agrit. Farm. Any suggestions, Areas or great places to stay? We are definitely looking for authentic experiences, towns to walk or bike too, interesting history for kids,animals...
Thank you.

Posted by
405 posts

Have you thought of Tuscany? Your boys would probably enjoying walking along the top of the old Roman wall around Lucca, climbing up the tower(s) in San Gimignano. You might be able to rent bikes in either town.

Posted by
19 posts

I love Naples! And I think your boys are probably a great age to enjoy Pompeii and the museums in the city. Naples also has some great outdoor market areas which could be a fun way to spend some time without breaking the bank. Plus - THE PIZZA! The best part of naples is that you can just eat pizza all day!

Weatherwise - Naples is going to be better than Tuscany - where it may be a little too cold to enjoy all of Tuscany's outdoor beauty.

Posted by
2 posts

I decided to book us at Italy Farm stay. It seems like such a great place. It is near the Town of Sora 2 hours between Rome and Naples. Does anyone have any recommendations for this area? i know we should venture to Naples and will be spending time in Rome but anything else in this locale?

Posted by
25 posts

There are many interesting little towns in the Val di Comino area such as Arpino,San Donato,Alvito. Also visiting the Abbey of Monte Cassino for World War II history is a great day trip.

Posted by
25 posts

My parents have a home in Fontechiari which is quite close to Pescosolido so we have been fortunate to have vacationed there with our kids many times. We love that area of Italy I guess because in some ways it is like home.When there we always have pizza or a meal at Pizzeria Park Bridge in Pescosolido. Try it. Also our kids love il mercato on thursdays in Sora. We usually get the wood fired roasted chicken from the bald man who has a big truck on that day. The other truck I do not believe is wood fired. The hike up to the Castello in Sora is beautiful and free if you are in pretty good shape. You must try the gelato in Piazza S. Restituta. The best!
Also a very local Ristorante San Martino in Broccostella is another tradition for us. The pizza and food are great but service is usually very slow. In the evenings they have dancing and everyone from the toddlers in mothers' arm to teens to nonnas are strutting their stuff-- line dancing, ballroom etc.

Posted by
25 posts

We have a home in Fontechiari not for from Pescosolido so have visited many times with kids. We love Pizzeria PArk Bridge there. Great food, wine and prices. In Sora the kids love il mercato on Thursdays, getting wood fired rotisserie chicken from the bald man who has a truck, climbing to the Castello- great views, Gelato in Piazza S. Restituta.Eating at Ristorante San Martino in Broccostella-great food but vy slow service and great people watching in the eve bec they have dancing: toddlers, teens and nonnas all line and ballroom dancing. Also love driving to Scanno and Sulmona. Great food in tiny restaurants in Scanno. The owner had to wake up his wife to cook for us.

Posted by
109 posts

just came across this old post. Did you ever go on your trip? would love to hear how you made out