Please sign in to post.

Italy in July

My family of 4 are now planning to visit Italy for 12-14 days. Flying from Dallas, Texas to Venice and then from Rome to Dallas, Texas. Our problem is since is our first trip to Italy we don't have any clue which cities to visit after Venice. Also we want to use the Train to visit the other cities. Please help us which cities and how many days to stay in each city.

Thank you so much!

Posted by
922 posts

What do you like to see and do? I assume you are bringing your children. How old are they and what do they like to do?

I recommend spending 3 nights in Venice and 4 nights in Rome. That leaves you with 5-7 nights. Florence (Duomo, Uffizi, Accademia) and Tuscany (hill towns, wine) are great locations as well. You could also hit Sorrento and the Amalfi Coast (beautiful scenery) or the Cinque Terre (scenery and hiking, could also day trip to Pisa/Lucca). Again, it really depends on your interests.

For train information, check trenitalia.com and http://www.italotreno.it/en. Trenitalia has more frequent trains and I am seeing 17 euro super economy fares on May 31 (the website doesn't give a price beyond that today). You can purchase tickets 90 days in advance on Italo. You will need to use the Italian train station names:

Venezia Santa Lucia
Firenze Santa Maria Novella
Roma Termini
Napoli (to get to Sorrento)

Posted by
4637 posts

Italy in July = incredible heat. Being from Dallas you can think you are used to it. The difference is that in Texas they have much better air-conditioning than in Italy. What I can recommend in Italy in July are destinations in the Alps and Dolomites.

Posted by
7175 posts

Venice - 3 nights
Florence - 3 nights
Sorrento (Amalfi Coast) - 4 nights
Rome - 4 nights

From Sorrento you can take a ferry to Capri, train to Pompeii & Naples, and bus to Positano & Amalfi.

Italy's high speed trains will get you from city to city - book ahead on trenitalia. Naples to Sorrento, however, is a private local line - Circumvesuviana.

Posted by
15238 posts

When planning count nights on the ground rather than days. Remember that 2 nights in one place is actually only 1 full day there, 3 nights in one place is actually only 2 full days. In other words X nights = X-1 days (I hope you like equations.

Below is my recommendations for 13/14 nights on the ground from North to South using trains (no rental cars):
OPTION A (total 13 nights)
Venice= 3 nights (visit Venice one day and Murano+Burano islands the other day)
Florence+Tuscany= 4-5 nights (up to 2 days for Florence the rest day trips within Tuscany)
Cinque Terre= 2 nights
Rome= 3-4 nights (if selecting 4 nights, maybe you can visit Orvieto on one day trip from Rome)

OPTION B (total 14 nights)
If you decide to visit the Sorrento/Amalfi Coast/Capri area, you need at least 4 nights (Sorrento is probably the best base), therefore you might need to cut the Cinque Terre and maybe add a couple of nights.
Sorrento is south of Rome, but if your flight back is from Rome, it's better to leave Rome last. In this case I would go from Florence all the way down to Sorrento then backtrack north a bit to Rome.

Florence+Tuscany= 4 nights (up to 2 days for Florence and 1 or max 2 day trip within Tuscany)
Sorrento= 4 nights (visit Amalfi Coast, Pompeii, Capri from here)
Rome= 3 nights (if selecting 4 nights, maybe you can visit Orvieto on one day trip from Rome)

As mentioned above Italy in July is as hot as hell (or Texas, which is the same).

Air conditioning in Italy is just as good as in Texas, unless you stay in some cheap hotel. But the quality of air conditioning is meaningless, because you are not going to Italy to stay indoor or at the pool (like you would do when you are at home in Texas), rather you will be spending practically your entire time walking the streets (a lot of walking!) and visiting the sights outdoors. Therefore the only time when you get to enjoy the air conditioning is when you go to sleep in your hotel or when you are inside museums (which must maintain a tightly controlled temperature to preserve ancient artwork). Dress appropriately for heat.

I don't recommend you visit the Dolomites mountains unless you are willing to rent a car.

Posted by
7175 posts

Another option (but with more stops) ...
Venice - 3 nights
Verona - 1 night
Milan - 1 or 2 nights
Cinque Terre - 2 or 3 nights
Florence - 3 nights
Rome - 3 nights

Posted by
11359 posts

Roberto has, as usual, given you some great options. You've done an excellent thing in flying into Venice and out of Rome. Brava!

It would be a good idea to read Rick Steves' Italy guidebook to see if the places recommended are what appeal to you. I can tell you from experience that rural Tuscany is somewhat quiet in July. We had a delightful time in little Montalcino in July a couple of years ago. The agriturismi were not busy and one winemaker told me they usually have a quiet July and August as people tend to show up in Sept and Oct when they are very busy in the wineries. So if you are open to renting a car for a few days, you might take that time in Roberto's option A and the Cinque Terre (which will be miserably crowded and too hot to hike) and do something like this:

Florence= 3 nights
Tuscany= 4 nights at an agriturismo nearMontalcino, Pienza or Montepulciano, taking day trips in the area and enjoying the countryside. Car required. Rent it in Florence, return it there as well and take the train to Rome.
Rome= 3-4 nights (if selecting 4 nights, maybe you can visit Orvieto on one day trip from Rome)

Posted by
11359 posts

Forgot to add: one night stays are tiring and do not add to the enjoyment, especially in the heat. Even two-night stays are to be avoided if possible. Moving around so much in a two-week stay just wastes time and wears everyone out. Four quality stays in a two-week period with some day-tripping wil mkae for a lovely holiday with some time to chill out by the pool at an agriturismo, or in a piazza.

Posted by
658 posts

Being a southerner I am used to the heat. I've been in Italy the past 4 July's and it is hot. Ask to make sure you do have air conditioning do not assume that your hotel/apartment will have it. I've heard many people complain about staying at "nice" places but did not have AC. I agree with less changing hotels the better.

Posted by
616 posts

If you have no airconditioning in your accommodation just shut the shutters when you are not there. If window is giving onto a terrace, just water the shutters from the terrace side.
However most hotels do have airconditioning and as Roberto is saying, most of the day you will be out.
Main thing: drink 3 l of water a day, stop if tired, eat light and you'll be fine.

Posted by
32894 posts

water the shutters

do you get a hose from the owner or do you use a watering can?

I must say, that is a new one on me..

Posted by
616 posts

A watering can would do unless the windows are too high.
When renting a house in the country, surely the landlord would lend you a hose.