Please sign in to post.

Italy in January

Our family of 4 will have some time to travel to Italy in january for about 7-8 days on the ground. We would like to do Rome and Venice. We would fly into Rome and out of Venice instead of circling back.
If we dont have 8 days, it will be only Rome and Venice, if an extra day is added, on would a day trip to Pompeii be feasible or even otherwise if i didnot have the extra day.
What are the best places to stay in rome. I am going from Boston and understand the weather can be cold, but i would think it would be a little better than here!

Thanks as always. This forum has helped me so many times

Posted by
7057 posts

It is much easier to fly IN to Venice than OUT of Venice so I would start in Venice end in Rome
Venice is a great place to get over jet lag.

With 7 NIGHTs I would give Venice 3, Rome 4

With 8 nights it’s your choice but Rome can always use more time

A day trip to Pompeii from Rome not usually recommended, you just don’t have enough time

We prefer to stay in the historic center-anywhere near Pantheon , Piazza Navonna, Campo de’Fiori
From there you can walk almost everywhere

Posted by
1538 posts

Fly into Venice and out of Rome ---- Venice is the ideal place to be jetlagged and Rome has many flights that are not as inconveniently super early as flight out of Venice.

I would skip Pompeii and go to Ostia Antica --- a quick and easy train ride from Rome instead of a long slog.

Venice can be deceptively colder than the average or predicted temperatures because it is often damp and foggy in winter --- however to us Minnesotans it was fine. Plus, for me, once I'm in Venice or Rome I don't care about anything weather-wise except avoiding heat. Lots of indoor things to see and do, too.

Posted by
11506 posts

We stay at Hotel Palazzo Navona in Rome and highly recommend it. .
It can be cold in Rome! We had to wear our down coats, hats and gloves one time when we were in Rome in early January

Posted by
70 posts

thank you for your quick replies. Are there any preferred areas to stay in venice? Do you think glass blowing would be open in january

Posted by
961 posts

Agree that Pompeii is too far for a day trip in winter. However, if you want to visit the remains of a Roman city, Ostia Antica is very doable from Rome, taking less than an hour by metro and train from central Rome. It’s a huge site and has the advantage of never being overcrowded. The only thing it doesn’t have is the tragic story behind Pompeii, Ostia was abandoned as the Tiber silted up over years, having served as the main port of Rome.

I like the Hotel Smeraldo, it’s near Largo Argentina and easy walking to most of the main sites in Rome. A couple if nice restaurants on the same street and a great Italian deli/bakery at the end of the street. The hotel is a favourite on this site.

Posted by
11506 posts

In Venice, we like to stay in Cannaregio on the north side, away from St. Mark’s and it’s crowds.

Posted by
509 posts

I’m jealous. January will be a great time to see Venice without crowds (and the accompanying short-tempered locals). The weather will be nothing compared to Boston.

You don’t really have to worry about crowd-beating tips. Plus during such an off time, you might snag a good deal on a place with a balcony right on the canal.

I think I’d spend 4 days in Venice. The extra time lets you downshift and match the season. I’d embrace the quiet vibe, I’d visit the beautiful cemetery, I’d sip coffee and journal, I’d wander around. It sounds glorious

Rome, for me, is best done in small doses. It has so much to do and see but I find it exhausting. I’d spend 3 days there. Your choice of Ancient sites, a full day at the Vatican. Again crowds should be light I would think.

Enjoy

Posted by
610 posts

January is my favorite month in Rome. After the 6th the crowds are gone, and you are likely to have bright blue skies and brisk but not cold temperatures. Compared to Boston it feels almost tropical! Have fun!

Posted by
5472 posts

I agree with Suki- Cannaregio is our favorite place to stay.
And I also agree with the above, fly into Venice and out of Rome. Early morning flights out of Venice are challenging to get to.
Have a great trip!

Posted by
1538 posts

Here's where we have enjoyed staying for a week or so in Venice, both neighborhoods that are away from where most tourists go: In 2001, San Polo near the Ponte de l'Agnella, and in 2014 in mid-December in Castello in the Calle Grimana right off the via Garibaldi. This year, again in December, we will stay in Cannaregio near the San Marziano church. If you all like to walk and/or have a vaporetto pass, you can stay almost anywhere that appeals to you.

Posted by
70 posts

Thank you all for your great suggestion and ideas. We will be leaving around the MLK weekend. Will look into all the options and report back! So excited.