Please sign in to post.

Italy in January

We are going to Italy Dec 28 - Jan 9. So far only set plan is Rome December 30, 31 & 1 st then Jan 8th before flight out.
Thinking of going south since it will be cold . Any suggestions?
Flying in to Milan out of Rome

Meeting my 23 year old daughter who is teaching English in Spain for her winter break

Posted by
693 posts

It can get cold in the South -it was snowing in Puglia in early April this year. Also, coastal regions will effectively be closed down. Personally, I would stick to major cities and work my way to Rome at the end. Venice is quite magical in winter if you are prepared for acqua alta. I would also consider Florence and Bologna. Both offer a lot to do, even when the weather is poor. Naples could be a good option if you really want to head South.

Posted by
3601 posts

Consider Sicily. The year I was an exchange teacher in London that's where we went for winter break. While, of course, weather is unpredictable, we had lots of sunshine and pretty mild temps. We stuck to the coasts. There's tons to see, including, at that time of year, the wonderful Christmas displays in the churches. You should be able to get cheap flights between Rome and Palermo or Catania.

Posted by
11333 posts

Sorrento is very popular with Italians after Christmas. In fact, our hotel told us they sell out from Dec 24-Epiphany! Weather unpredictable, but when it is sunny there, even if cold, it is delightful, and Pompeii in the winter is not crowded.

You could also embrace the north. If you ski or just enjoy winter hiking/walking, the Dolomites are great. We particularly like Ortisei in the Val Gardena.

No car required (or recommended) in either Sorrento or the Val Gardena.

Posted by
1949 posts

I would second Sicily as a potential destination for that time of year. We were in Florence, then Salerno in early-to-mid March of this year and temps were high 30's to mid 50's, with plenty of wind, some rain. Didn't take away from our enjoyment of being there, not at all, but Sicily at least has a chance of decent weather in January. Fly Rome to Palermo or Catania. Sounds like a wonderful trip, enjoy!