Please sign in to post.

Italy in January

HI,

Our family of 4 are planning to go to Italy, (Rome/Venice) for one week. Right now, i am looking at flights in the ranges of 500-700 on TAP portugal basic. Is this is reasonable time to book and also, i am readinig mixed reviews about the airlines. Any members have personal experience, would appreciate your input

TIA

Posted by
8019 posts

That's a good fare; I'd book that with TAP. I find every airline has mixed reviews. TAP the national carrier of Portugal has been around since 1945.

Posted by
70 posts

thank you.
For an itinerary, i am thinking, flying into Rome and spending about 4 days and then 2 days in venice and flying out of Venice. I do understand, time is limited but hope to get the major stuff.
Appreciate thoughts.

tiA

Posted by
7845 posts

I am not fond of cold weather and short days of Winter in Europe.

Dress warm and take gloves, overcoat and hat.

Posted by
569 posts

Fly into Venice and out of Rome for the best experience.

Posted by
70 posts

thank you. I understand about the weather. Unfortunately that is the only time workable for us! Maybe less crowds might be enjoyable:-)

Posted by
2139 posts

We were in Italy right before Christmas in 2015. Yes, the days are short but we had plenty of daylight. Plus, we enjoy early morning light and dusk. Temps were moderate when we were there. We were in Tuscany and there was frost a few mornings but since it was mostly sunny for our stay, afternoon temps were in the low to mid 60s. We'll be in Vienna/Salzburg this December and it may be a different story.

Traveling deep off season is a joy. There's plenty to see and do. We walked straight into the Uffizi in Florence, no lines!

Posted by
27369 posts

I was in Rome in February and March this year. There were most definitely lines. The Vatican Museum online tickets and all the Borghese Gallery tickets were sold out over a week in advance. The Colosseum was worse, I think. You'll need to buy tickets for key sights well in advance. Monitor the official websites so you don't end up empty-handed.

Posted by
520 posts

I’ve flown TAP and thought they were more or less as good as United. I’ve booked two more upcoming overseas trips with them. They were weighing and measuring carryon luggage leaving Lisbon to the US. I had a backpack as my carryon and they just waved me on through.

I was in Florence last December and in Rome and Florence in March. Yes, it gets dark earlier and it’s cold, but there is something magical about wandering around the dark city with just lights shining, plus there are less people.