Please sign in to post.

Italy in February

I am considering the RS Venice Florence and Rome tour in February. Any reasons why going at that time of year wouldn't be a good idea? I am a true northwesterner and can't handle the heat of summer.

Posted by
3696 posts

I haven't taken his tour but I went to Rome, Florence, Venice & Croatia, Burano and Murren in Feb. and it was great. Definitely not summer... but you already know that. Actually Venice was very much like Seattle weather. Rome was one of our worst days as it was really windy, but it was still Rome. Just bring layers and expect the worst and you will be really happy at the little glimpses of nice weather. By chance will you be in Venice during Carnavale? That is when I went and it was spectacular, magical and truly unforgettable. I spent a week in Venice and although it rained or misted most days it just added to the ambience. Beautiful blue light and wonderful for photography.

Posted by
3551 posts

The weather in Venice canbe rainy and poss flooding in Venice at that time. But if you are on a RS tour they would work an alternate itin for you. So my suggestions is go, for sure it is a gd deal.
And yes the summers in Venice espec can be very humid and overwelming imo.

Posted by
32318 posts

Debbie, Although the heat of summer can be unpleasant, the weather in February can also be miserable and cold, so touring in outdoor areas wouldn't be as pleasant. You'd also have to pack along larger clothing items. Of course, one major benefit is the $800 discount on the Jan. & Feb. tours. In the same situation, my preference would be a tour in late March or early April. The weather should be starting to improve, but wouldn't be "hot" yet. Happy travels!

Posted by
11634 posts

We spent all of Dec 2011 in Italy and really liked touring in the cooler weather. You need layers, a hooded raincoat/jacket, maybe silk long underwear. I used merino wool and silk sweater layers, took a polartec-type fleece, Smartwool socks, jeans. I did not even have a liner for my microfibre raincoat. Take a scarf, hat, gloves, gortex-lined walkin shoes. Umbrella maybe: You can always buy one on the street from the vendors that emerge like magic.

Posted by
893 posts

Did 10 days in Italy (Rome, Florence, Venice) at the end of February this year. If you aren't afraid to get outside and stay outsid when the weather isn't perfect, we found it to be a great time of year to go. There was almost no one at Pompeii when we went. Walk in at the Uffizi without reservations. (But unfortunately, no nightlife at St. Mark's square in Venice, either) Biggest "issue" is that you have to pack a lot more because the weather is so variable. Definitely needed winter coats, hats and gloves on a few mornings. But were in short sleeves and pants a few afternoons. Still, 7 of us made it with only one small carry-on per person (no personal item allowed) and one checked bag shared between us all (had to be able to bring back olive oil and wine LOL!)

Posted by
1994 posts

I don't know that you even need to bring much more clothing, and it's great to visit without the crowds. I'm a real wimp and am always cold, but I was fine with a unlined hooded raincoat and layers (silk long underwear, a couple of fleece tops, and lightweight sweaters/blouses for under the fleece). I also brought gloves, a knit cap, and a very small umbrella, and I was fine. You'll find lots of street vendors with scarves and shawls, and those make nice souveniers.

Posted by
791 posts

Venice can get very, very cold in February sometimes but it's kind of hit or miss. I remember going to Carnivale one year and it being so cold that we kept having to duck into bars and cafes for a drink just to get out of the cold. I also remember going to Carnivale one year and it being so warm that I was actually sweating with just a light sweater on. You just really never what you're going to get here one year to the next.

Posted by
7209 posts

Visiting ANYTIME in Italy other than the high tourist season sounds WONDERFUL to me. We've been there in high and low and LOW is the way to go!