Please sign in to post.

Italy in February

We will be traveling to Venice, Rome and Florence in mid February. Any tips on weather expectations?

Posted by
669 posts

It can vary quite a bit. Google for what is has been like the past few years. It seems like when I head to Florence in February it rains but I might just be unlucky.

Posted by
15671 posts

Aside from this year's crazy weather - which looks like only a forerunner of next year . . ..

I've had lots of warm-ish, sunny days in all 3 cities in February, on multiple trips. Florence tends to be the coldest, due to its topography. I've also had snow in Rome (it was fabulous - snowed overnight, the next day was sunny, wonderful photos). I like to take a sturdy rain poncho which keeps my camera and backpack dry and both hands free. I also take a spare pair of shoes just in case mine don't dry out overnight - hasn't happened yet, but my feet seem to like different shoes after 2-3 days. Most important for me are the shearling gloves I bought in Florence which keep my hands warm and dry (though after they get wet a few times, they aren't as pretty) and are soft and pliable enough that I can use my camera while wearing them.