Please sign in to post.

Italy in Early March

My soon to be wife and I are planning/finalizing our honeymoon to Europe. We are going to Amsterdam, Paris, Venice, Milan, Cinque Terre, Florence, and Rome. I am having a hard time finding hotels for Amsterdam, Venice, Milan, Florence, and Rome. There are so many options and neighboorhoods to choose from that its hard to shift thru it all. Can anyone make some suggestions as to where to stay and any hotels they might recommend? We are open to any reasonably priced option. I dont want to spend more than $150 a night but less would of course be preferred. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!! If you need more info let me know.

Posted by
7737 posts

Have you bought the RS Italy 2011 book? It's a great starting point, since your question is so broad. Good luck.

Posted by
6 posts

Yea i have the 2011 edition and i was able to purchase the rail pass thru this website. The book is very helpful and i have been going thru it for the last two months. I know that i would like to stay in the Canal Loop in Amsterdam. In Venice I think the San Marco area would be ideal, we are only going to be in Venice for 2 days so i think its better to stay in that area, no? In Milan its just an overnight, to see the Duomo, the Sforza, the Scala, and the arcade so i dont want to spend too much on the hotel. Not likely seeing the prices in Milan but whatever. In Florence we are willing to spend a little more to get a nice place to stay but i dont know what area would be best. In Rome we would like to stay close to the main sights. I keep seeing the Testaccio area being mentioned but i dont find to many hotels on Expedia in that area. Again any suggestions are welcomed. Thanks again.

Posted by
16385 posts

You can narrow you search for hotels in you rprice range using Tripadvisor. For example, for Venice, if you put in dates in March (I used weeknights), the following hotels pop up at or around $150 a night: Al Duca di Venezia, ranked # 15; Locanda Sant'Agostin, # 25, Residenca Ca'Foscolo, # 28, and so on. You can read the reviews and click on the map to see the location of each. For Florence, one of the top-ranked hotels, and a favorite among people here, is Hotel Casci. It is within you rprice range, so you migh tstart by checking that.

Posted by
7737 posts

I would avoid Testaccio in Rome. It's a little too far away from the major sights. (Frankly I'm surprised you "keep seeing it." Where are you seeing it recommended?) Have you looked at the maps of Rome in the RS book? I think you'll see that staying in the historic center is a better bet, especially for your first time. Generally people prefer the Campo de' Fiori - Piazza Navona area. As for Venice, it's so small that I don't see a real reason to stay near St. Mark's. We've stayed twice at Pensione Guerrato near the Rialto Bridge and can't recommend it highly enough.

Posted by
1976 posts

For Amsterdam, I suggest the Quentin Arrive Hotel (http://www.quentinarrivehotel.com/), around 90 euros per night for a double with shared bathroom. This hotel requires that guests stay at least 3 nights. It is located in the Jordaan neighborhood and is a 5-minute walk from Centraal Station. I can also recommend Frederic Rent-A-Bike (http://www.frederic.nl/). This company has several different properties with rooms that vary widely in price, depending on how fancy they are. We stayed at Frederic's Parents' Place in a room for 2 people with shared bathroom (about 70 euros per night). This hotel is in the Jordaan also and is about a 10-minute walk from Centraal Station.

Posted by
53 posts

For Venice, would highly recommend Hotel Riva. It's a short walk from St. Marks Square and a perfect location: http://www.hotelriva.it/index.html Florence, we stayed at the Bellvue House, convenient to the train station, laundry and food, very spacious rooms: http://www.bellevuehouse.it/inglese/bed_and_breakfast_florence_center.asp For Rome, we rented an apartment. It was convenient, easy and very affordable: http://www.cross-pollinate.com/new_info.asp?id=206&kind=2&city=Rome&tpfilt=2 All of these should fit in your price range since you're going during the off season. We went at the end of March as well. But the weather is a little unpredictable so make sure you pack some warm clothes, occasionally it dipped into some low temps.

Posted by
247 posts

Al Portico Guest house in Venice and Hotel Il Bargellino in Florence.

Posted by
1633 posts

For Milan, we stayed at the Best Western Major this past October. We booked online and got a room for 105 euros which included a huge buffet breakfast. This property has a metro stop nearby which will take you directly to the Duomo. The Best Westerns in Italy are very modern and not like the hotel chain here in the States. We would definitely stay there again. By the way, I think your bride will have a great time clothes shopping right by the Duomo--I did. Have a wonderful trip!

Posted by
6 posts

Fantastic suggestions everyone. I really appreciate it. thanks again.

Posted by
973 posts

Just stayed at Casa Verardo in Venice- just a few blocks away from San Marco's vaporetto, on a quiet canal; Hotel Berna in Milan, a long block from the Central train station with an excellent ( included) breakfast, great staff, internet specials; and Hotel Hestia in Amsterdam, quiet, near Leidesplein's direct transport to Centraal Station on the tram.

Posted by
9 posts

In Venice, consider staying in the Dorsodoro area, directly across the Grand Canal from St Marks Square. A easy 1 Euro traghetto ride across the canal and much cheaper hotels and restaurants - also better meals.