Please sign in to post.

Italy in December

My adult daughter just found out she has time off the first two weeks of December. We traveled Italy last March and want to go back but not sure where this trip. Looking for unique ideas.

We wish to return to the Cinque De Terre for a couple of days.
We do not want to tour Rome or Florence
Thank you!
Terry

Posted by
5291 posts

Terry,
What cities/towns have you visited previously?

The Cinque Terre are lovely (as you already know) but unfortunately many hotels, shops and restaurants close down for the winter months (usually Mid November - late March/early April).

Have you considered visiting Tuscany or Umbria?

A couple of years ago I enjoyed my visit to Lucca, Siena, Orvieto, Assisi, Montefalco and Trevi.

Italy is like going to a candy store, so many amazing places to choose from!

What are your interests?

Posted by
15773 posts

If you want scenery and are willing to take a chance on the weather consider the Amalfi Coast. The natural beauty is stunning. If you stay in Sorrento, you can take the local train (metro really) to Pompeii and/or Herculaneum, bus to the AC towns and ferry to Capri (if the weather be good). Or you could stay in Salerno and bus to the AC towns, bus or train to Paestum, and train to Pompeii. Sorrento is more time-consuming to get to because you have to change from the national rail to the local metro in Naples. Salerno is part of the national rail system.

I love Venice. If you go there, it's best to fly in because flying out is often logistically difficult. Consider spending a few nights in Bologna, which doesn't get a lot of tourists - lots of students, though - and it's famous for the food. It's a rail hub so you can day trip to half a dozen or more great towns.

Posted by
15773 posts

Consider flying open-jaw, into Venice and out of Naples - you can skip Rome entirely except possibly changing trains there.

Posted by
472 posts

Sicily! Search this Forum's many posts, & the new RS book. We went in mid-Dec. - weather was mild, crowds easy, experience terrific. Admittedly not next door to CT, but it was one of our best trips ever.

Posted by
83 posts

You should consider Montepulciano in Tuscany. This is one of our favorite hilltop towns and during December, it is magical! They have a Christmas Market that runs from mid-November until the first week of January and the entire town is lit up in lights, there are carolers, food vendors, and craft/gift vendors. The first time we came and saw Montepulciano decked out for the holidays, we were hooked and try to come back every year.

Not only is the Christmas market fantastic, but the entire town is just wonderful. The restaurants, the shops, don’t get me started or we will be planning another trip!

If you need places to stay or restaurant suggestions, just let me know! Have a great time with your daughter!!!