Please sign in to post.

Italy in Dec 2019

Hi Folks,

im planning to travel to Italy in Dec 2019 from 20th to 30th. We are a small family with 1 kid. Can you please help me with following questions ?

1. Will museums and other places be closed on Dec 25th and 26 th ?
  2. Since Dec is off season will i have less time to spend in sightseeing places due to long breaks ?

Thanks
Hari

Posted by
11315 posts

Dec 25 everything is closed, as far as I know, except the 100 Presepi Museum. Watch this site http://www.presepi.it/index.php?lang=en if interested. Otherwise it is a good day for walking past sites and having a festive lunch. The 26th, more sites are open, including the Forum as I recall. Also a big day for people to go strolling.

Daylight hours are shorter, of course, but the lights in the evening are lovely.

Posted by
15803 posts

Yes. Order your tickets in advance:

https://www.opapisa.it/en/opening-and-closing-time/https://www.opapisa.it/en/opening-and-closing-time/action~agenda/page_offset~1/cat_ids~38,32,34,40,33,39,37,36,43,42,35,44/request_format~html/

But be aware that children under the age of 8 are not allowed to climb the tower:

https://www.opapisa.it/en/tickets/a-few-words-of-advice-before-you-buy-your-ticket/

"For safety reasons, children who will not have turned 8 by the end of this year are not permitted to enter. Under 18s must be accompanied by an adult. ID may be requested to certify the age."

That said, taking Laurel's advice just to walk about Rome on Christmas Day is what I'd do. I believe reservations for dinner may be advised but I'll defer to her and others who are more familiar with the city during the holiday.

Posted by
23265 posts

Keep in mind that your time period is not off-season. With the Christmas activities this period matches peak periods of the summer. This is especially true for Rome. Our experience is that nearly everything shuts down beginning around noon on Christmas eve and doesn't open till the 26th. Only a few hotel restaurants were open and they are general packed with tourists. So you need to plan your meals carefully on the 24th and 25th. We hit a local grocery on morning of the 24th and laid in enough bread, cheese, wine, etc., to last us to the 26th. Fortunately our hotel had a roof top patio that was perfect for our meals. I would not plan on anything being open on the 25th.

Posted by
27094 posts

You should go to the websites of the places you want to visit on December 24 and 25 (I'd also check for December 26) and see what they say. I don't travel at the end of the year, but in my experience major holiday closures are listed. Unfortunately, early closings will not necessarily be shown; this is based on my experience in southern Spain during Holy Week.

Posted by
11 posts

Thanks guys this is helpful. Most likely based on my itinerary i will be in Florence between 24-26th. How do you think FLorence will be during these days ?

And should i be worried about anything else during these days ( 20th - 30th )?

Posted by
860 posts

December 25th 2019 is a Wednesday. Trains may be packed with families traveling home with lots of bags/presents at any times you may be traveling. Just like airports in the US will be that week.

Posted by
15803 posts

Most likely based on my itinerary i will be in Florence between
24-26th. How do you think FLorence will be during these days ?

Like Rome, practically all museums will be closed on the 25th. To get an idea of what was open/closed last year, this might be helpful:

https://www.visitflorence.com/christmas-holiday-museum-hours.html

This might be helpful as well (also from last year):
https://theromanguy.com/italy-travel-blog/how-to-spend-christmas-in-florence/

You should check the websites of attractions you are interested in for most current info regarding Christmas Eve hours (e.g. the Uffizi shows that it's open regular hours; buy tickets in advance; https://www.uffizi.it/en/the-uffizi#timetable-prices). Check for the 26th as well.

Posted by
6 posts

We spent Christmas 2016 in Rome and to my surprise many restaurants, delis, etc were open. Many retail stores were also open on Christmas day which surprised me but considering their economy, I understood why they were open. It's a good idea to start researching restaurants now and making reservations for Christmas Eve and Christmas day because they will book up no matter where you are. In Rome, Casa Bleve is a fantastic choice and they are open both days. All museums etc are closed on Christmas, but if you're in Rome on that day, it's worth it to go to the Vatican and witness Pope Francis give the Christmas blessing. There is so much to see and do that you will definitely not feel cheated while there during the holiday.

Posted by
133 posts

On New Year's day we found that many churches were open and so we enjoyed walking through the town and stopping at churches. (We did this in the afternoon, it may not have been feasible in the morning if they had a new year's day mass.). The Basilica of San Clemente was open on New Year's day - it is referred to as the "lasagna church" - we were able to explore the layers of history and it may have been one of the only sites open that day. We had no problem finding restaurants open on New Year's Day. It was a very fun time to be in Rome.

Posted by
1528 posts

Catholic churches are open on New Year's Day as it is a Catholic festivities and services follow the Sunday schedule. Tourist visits may be limited during services.

Posted by
15803 posts

Posters advising activities for New Year's Day, please note that the OP will only be in Italy until 12/30.

Posted by
11 posts

Hi Guys,

Thank you all for the wonderful replies and suggestion. My plan is finalzied and booekd tickets for Dec 19th landing and leaving by 30th night

I'm planning Milan->Venice->Florence( Tuscany & Pisa)->Rome ->Back to Milan to catch flight

Can you guys suggest how many days in each location please ?

Wife also wants to cover Naples not sure if i can fit in. Pls help

Posted by
23265 posts

You only have nine nights on the ground assuming you meant that you depart on the 19th --- arriving on the 20th - and departing on the 30th. This is classic example where an open jaw ticket -- into Venice and home from Rome -- would have saved time and money. (Advice is for other readers). Since part of the 24th and all of the 25th will be dead time you barely have enough for the original plan of Venice, Florence and Rome without adding Naples. Remember, when you change locations you lose at least a half day if not most of the day checking in and out of hotels, travel, etc. So your nine nights shrink in a hurry.

You might consider the 20, 21, in Venice, 22(travel),23, 24 in Florence, 25(travel), 26,27,28 in Rome, 29(travel) Milan and home on the 30th. Train schedules will be limited on the 25th but that maybe the best use of that dead day. Not an ideal situation but you can make it work. Just understand the limitations.

Posted by
2109 posts

I really like Frank's itinerary. It's too bad you booked the way you did, as Frank pointed out, open jaw would have been a much better plan.

We were in Tuscany December 2015, but roughly the 10 days before you arrive. We had a great time and it was not busy. It was fun seeing the Christmas markets and all the Christmas decorations.

We spent the Saturday before Christmas in Rome. The shopping district near the shopping district near the Via del Corso and the Pantheon was packed, but our Walks of Italy guide pointed out it was locals doing last minute shopping. Just a few blocks away at the Trevi Fountain and the Pantheon there were a lot fewer people.

December is a great time to be in Italy.

Posted by
11 posts

This forum is just great, with lots of knowledge and suggestions, thanks guys. Actually im landing on 19th night and leaving on 30th 10 pm. So i guess i should be fine for 10 nights.

Also i was thinking Milan->Venice-Fly to Naples->-Rome->FLorence( pisa etc)-> Milan. This might save sometime.. what do you guys think.

Posted by
23265 posts

So you gain an night. It still doesn't give you much additional time. I would add it to Venice or Florence. Flying to Naples really doesn't save any time and it could be longer. The direct train to Naples is five hours. Not sure of the flight schedule but when you add in time and expensive of getting to and from airports, check-in times, security, etc., I doubt if flying is quicker. You can do that but it becomes a drive by trip. And there is always a possibility of weather causing some problems at that time of year. If you want to hit Naples I would leave Venice out. Winter is not the best time to visit Venice especially if they are encountering high tides at that time of year. You have asked for our best collective wisdom and we have given it. Nothing says you have to accept it. Most of us are posting from experience and I would not undertake your proposed trip.

Posted by
11 posts

Hi Frank,

Agreed, even had no intention of adding Naples but wife badly wanted to go. I will think about it for sure. I dont see you recommend anything in Milan, should i skip or just stay for a day ?

Posted by
15803 posts

Also i was thinking Milan->Venice-Fly to Naples->-Rome->FLorence( pisa
etc)-> Milan. This might save sometime.. what do you guys think.

Too much moving around for 10 nights, and flying Venice>Naples is also not going to save you any worthwhile time, if at all.

krishhi, I'd save Naples for a next trip when you can explore some of the Amalfi and Sorrentine Coasts + Pompeii, and maybe visit during a different season. What with Christmas/Christmas Eve in the middle of your 10 nights, you don't have time to do that region justice, IMHO. Also, 23rd is a Monday when Italian National Museums are closed. All in all, I just think between the holiday and sketchy weather at this time of year, that it's not a great time for a 4-5 region trip involving a lot of transfers, sightseeing in limited daylight, and around some regular + seasonal closures.

Posted by
27094 posts

Milan's Duomo is magnificent. The Last Supper is something some people consider very important. If you choose to go because of one of those sights, there will be some other things to see, but those other things would not be reasons to go there in the first place, if you get my drift. Milan is not generally considered one of Italy's top destinations, and on a trip as short as yours, I would give it no time at all.

Note that it is very difficult to get tickets to see The Last Supper. They seem to sell out instantly.

Posted by
11 posts

Guys im worried now.. did i choose a wrong dates to visit Italy ? should i change dates ?

Posted by
27094 posts

I don't go to Europe in the winter, but a lot of folks enjoy Europe at that time of year. You have several factors to weigh. Different people will come up with different answers.

• How important is it to you to avoid the most crowded times of the year (understanding, though, that the holiday period is rather popular and will presumably be more crowded than November or January)?
  • How hard is it for you to get away at other times of the year?
  • How important is it to you to avoid the likely high heat of mid-summer (if that's the other time you have available)?
  • How worried are you about running into chilly, damp weather?
  • How do you feel about short days vs. pretty city lights?
  • Are you go-inside-the-sights travelers, or are you more wander-around-outside travelers? (And if the latter, will winter weather be an issue?)

In popular places like Italy, there is no perfect time of year. You cannot have moderate weather, long days and less crowding--much less no holidays to interfere with indoor sightseeing. You have to "pick your poison" as the expression goes, based on what is most important to you. For me, it is critical to avoid short daylight hours and cold/wet weather. That means I have to tolerate crowds and the risk of hot weather. Many people are just the opposite.

Posted by
1386 posts

We 100% prefer November and December for being in Italy, and specifically we enjoyed Venice and Florence in late December. But, seriously, your plan has you spending way too much time getting from one place to another and checking in and out of hotels or apartments. These aspects of travel are very time-consuming and exhausting and just not fun, especially with a kid.

Think about keeping your current plane tickets, taking the train straight to Venice upon landing in Milan (we have done this and it was fine), then spending half your time in Venice and half in Florence, skipping both Rome and Naples. Return to Milan for your last night, perhaps to an airport hotel or a hotel close to the airport with a shuttle bus. Then, for sure, return to Italy for another trip!

Posted by
1386 posts

The hotel-with-shuttle near the Milan airport we really liked was Osteria della Pista. Check it out. We took the train to Malpensa airport, got their free shuttle to the hotel the night before, had a quite good hotel dinner there, and then the free shuttle back to the airport in the morning.

Posted by
2109 posts

All in all, I just think between the holiday and sketchy weather at this time of year, that it's not a great time for a 4-5 region trip involving a lot of transfers, sightseeing in limited daylight, and around some regular + seasonal closures.

Guys I'm worried now.. did i choose a wrong dates to visit Italy ? should i change dates ?

I think Kathy is talking about the type of trip you are planning and when you are planning it. You'll need to make a choice: change the trip itinerary or change when you want to take it.

As one who has been in Italy in December, I think you could have a wonderful time if you modify your trip substantially. Minimize the risk of adverse weather by choosing places less likely to be affected and that offer alternatives to outdoor activities. Minimize the number of changes. Since you've got tickets in and out of Milan, I suggest spending a few days in Milan either at the beginning or end, then use Florence as a base and do a couple of day trips to places like Lucca and Siena that are easily reached by train. You could even throw in a bus tour of Tuscany.

Posted by
11 posts

Thanks guys for all the wonderful suggestion. I will try to stick to 3 places as you all suggested Venice, Florence and Rome. And probably keep Milan for a day.